Scandinavian Crime Fiction

Discuss anything on your mind, with focus on films and music though.

Moderator: Ian

Re: Scandinavian Crime Fiction

Postby snaps » Thu Feb 24, 2011 10:59 pm

THE PEOPLE WHO DIDN'T ENJOY FIKA

http://www.thelocal.se/blogs/zalarusse/?p=338

[This is a draft sketch from a later section in the first chapter to my novel 'THE GIRL WHO DREAMED TOO MUCH'. The storyline is © Copyright to the Author. The identified characters; 'Jan Bublanski' and 'Lisbeth Salander' are the intellectual property of the Estate of the late Stieg Larsson (all rights reserved).]
snaps
Crew Member

Postby fish » Fri Feb 25, 2011 9:48 am

I'd like to see the bridge between the scene last week and this one, just to see how the story gets to here. Do you have all that stuff sorted out yet, or is this section more or less isolated?

If you're interested I'll give you a pedant's constructive critique of this section, but I'd rather do it by PM. Let me know your feelings.
Fish
fish
Crew Member

Postby snaps » Fri Feb 25, 2011 1:03 pm

fish wrote: If you're interested I'll give you a pedant's constructive critique of this section, but I'd rather do it by PM. Let me know your feelings.

I don't mind either way. I was just itching to get this part written up. There are two more sequential sections to this, one of which is more or less fully drafted and the other about 50%.
It probably, in reality is more likely to fall into the second or a subsequent chapter when the action relocates to Stockholm.

I have to splice together the simultanous actions of Todsengel, Camilla Salander, and Malin Thorstrom on the one hand with the parallel paths of Lisbeth Salander + Mikael Blomkvist, Dr Ehrenstrom + Georgina Moon, and Bublanski + the forces of law and order. Only when the latter people overcome their differences and start working as a group do they have any hope of defeating the conspiracy. That is a source of dramatic tension building towards the good. Balanced against this there is dramatic tension between Todsengel, Camilla, and Malin who tend towards the evil and covertly work to undermine each other.

The unifying metaphor is the ''Shakabao Project'' and what happens when the bottle is uncorked and the genie (25,000 Valkyren) re-animated and released. Do they obey orders and work for the Nazi cause or maybe they turn native, uncontrollable and unstoppable?

I'm still keen on the idea of the novel working on an ''existential'' level as well, mixing real and imaginary characters. There is a strong sci-fantasy element to this, so very unlike Larsson's style (although ironically his first ever ventures in writing were sci-fi stories).

I have Point A the gelling together of the characters and introductions, and Point B the formation of the battle lines pretty much worked out. Getting the two joined up is more troublesome.

The major locations (over the whole novel) are Brighton UK, Stockholm, Malmberget (in the north, the site of Chako Paul Underground City) and the region of Skane in southern Sweden (the political base of Malin).

I also have a time-scale worked out, stringing events along a timeline from November 4th up to Winter Solstice on 21st December in 2004 (The proposed breakout day for the Valkyren).

The format is still quick moving ''flash fiction'' style with minimal background detail at this stage.

I've still not got a juvenile male key character though and I've already killed off Agent Rislov! :T and I'm rather short on useful things for Blomkvist to do, except baking cakes for the ''goodie'' people. :)
snaps
Crew Member

Postby fish » Sat Feb 26, 2011 7:11 am

Blomkvist the baker. Sounds ideal to me. :lol:

I love the story Snaps, and I love the intriguing characters you're developing.

Can't wait to read more. *:)*
Fish
fish
Crew Member

Postby snaps » Tue Mar 01, 2011 10:51 pm

THE GIRL WHO WOKE UP TOO SOON

http://www.thelocal.se/blogs/zalarusse/?p=345

fuckyeah, I don't some dweeb telling me ''I doubt yellow bird will do your thing.'' Like he knows :roll:

Bring it on :evil:
snaps
Crew Member

Postby Ian » Wed Mar 02, 2011 1:31 am

Some dweeb makes stupid comment on the internet.

The world gasps in shock.

:wink: :P
Ian
Webmaster

Postby fish » Wed Mar 02, 2011 5:45 am

Ian wrote:Some dweeb makes stupid comment on the internet.

I don't believe it. :shock:

I getting addicted to these bits and pieces Snaps.
Can't wait for the full deal. *:)*
Fish
fish
Crew Member

Postby snaps » Sat Mar 12, 2011 12:18 am

I would appreciate some honest feedback here. This guy/ guyess regularly posts snarky comments on other people's uploads.

His/her (the same person) comments have become more abusive on my webpages;

Franklin Miller says:
March 9, 2011 at 7:35 pm (Edit)
Don’t give up the day job And get out more.

Andrea Brown says:
March 10, 2011 at 3:19 pm (Edit)
I have an idea. I will take the most famous book series in Sweden’s history and write my own novel intertwining the popular bits from that work. I will also write in a naff style that most publishers would laugh at before they throw it in the bin. What do you think of that?

Franklin Miller says:
March 11, 2011 at 2:05 pm (Edit)
I am so sorry about your schizophrenia. It is no laughing matter and I should have been more constructive in my assessment of your efforts. Being abnormal should not hold you back from writing your stuff, even if no-one else will ever appreciate it.
Go girl, get ‘em

Franklin and Andrea are the same person.

This is my response to their shit:

http://www.thelocal.se/blogs/zalarusse/?p=345&cpage=1#comment-42

Do you think I'm being OTT with this,or is this a sufficiently measured response to trolldom?
snaps
Crew Member

Postby Juule » Sat Mar 12, 2011 2:18 am

If she/he is new at this you just scared the shit out of her/him. :lol:

If not (and that's how it seems) she/he probably just gets more excited and will definitely come back. :(

Just ignore them. They're there just to cause trouble and to make you feel bad. If no one cares, they might go away. :Y (to harass someone else) :|

But it's your blog and it's your right to give them back. :D I think it's OK.
Juule
Crew Member

Postby fish » Sat Mar 12, 2011 8:06 am

I have to agree with Juule. :shock:

He/she/they are probably getting off on all the attention you're giving them. Is there any way you can ban them, or not let their individual comments be posted?

If they get no reaction from you, (difficult I know), they'll probably leave you alone and start picking on someone else.
Fish
fish
Crew Member

Postby snaps » Sat Mar 12, 2011 4:16 pm

Thanks guys :) I've taken your advice. I left my last comment up long enough for him to see it. He's responded by sending me a wierd mildly obscene story in return. Fucking freak troll! It's actually quite well written, pity he doesn't apply himself to something more useful. Most of the time ''Franklin and/or Andrea'' just leaves snarky comments on other people's blogs. I've re-organised my blog now so I'm only displaying whatever is current, and I've archived all the other items and comments out of sight.

TBH I'm getting fed-up with theLocal.se Most of the people who comment on news stories are loony neo-nazis. They have spats with OTT extremists who call for an Islamic Republic of Sweden, and who are very obviously just troll characters. For all I know they may all be the same person, maybe Franklin/ Andrea even? Not many of them are interested in reading my stuff anyway.

Hahah! a funny anyway. In a discussion on swearing on Swedish TV, a woman who emigrated from the US to Sweden 10 years ago said how shocked she was on arrival to see a video shop displaying a film in the window with the title of ''Fucking Amal'' :lol: :lol:

Do remind me, which one of the characters was called Amal? :T
snaps
Crew Member

Postby Ian » Sun Mar 13, 2011 12:29 am

Ignoring these twats is always the best response. I've (rarely, thankfully) had the odd troll try to leave unpleasant comments on my TY vids. I delete them and then block them from ever commenting on any of my vids again (or messaging me).

Even rarer (if they're particularly disgusting) I message them to tell them to go eff themselves and then do it. :P

If you ever have any doubt regarding how stupid/unpleasant people are, just look at internet comments. :T
Ian
Webmaster

Postby Juule » Sun Mar 13, 2011 2:40 pm

snaps wrote:I've re-organised my blog now so I'm only displaying whatever is current, and I've archived all the other items and comments out of sight.

Looks good. :Y Although it's a bit confusing if you visit the blog directly (http://www.thelocal.se/blogs/zalarusse/) as there's no way to get to the 'current' posting. :? (Unless there's a glowing link to someone's Recent Comments, like now.) Image

And that part about "intelligent comments"... (was it there before :?) it kind of rules me out. :oops:
Juule
Crew Member

Postby snaps » Sun Mar 13, 2011 6:23 pm

Thanks Juule and everyone. Good point about the links :T I've made some clickable links from the homepage now :Y ... and yes I did change it to ''intelligent'' comments, as a side-swipe against Franklin/ Andrea. :wink:

It would be good if some friendly neighbourhood fishperson could do me a screen capture of the Local's blog page though! :D I'm currently ranking at Number 5.

http://www.thelocal.se/blogs/

and yes I think you are right Juule, he is probably no stranger to trolling, flaming and spamming.

Franklin/ Andrea has been back and posted although, I'm holding it in the moderation queue, and don't want to post it openly.

He is deffo wierd: ''So TL bans free speech on this unique blog. What is the point if we can't offer honest and original thoughts? If I were Zala, I'd take her stuff off somewhere else where it is appreciated by the site.''

TL = theLocal.se, Franklin/ Andrea = nutsoid

I haven't contacted the site moderators or anything so I don't know what he's on about, the only changes made are ones I've done. I'm seen him/her express grudges against TL before. I've searched the Member database, and neither Franklin nor Andrea show up. Possible he is someone who got hoofed by the TL before for trolling. I've temporarily altered the comment setting to ''TL Members only'' so he won't be able to post under either of his assumed names. I don't know what bullshit he was on about the other day, about IP's only narrow down identification to blocks of 20,000? He is based in Stockholm and uses the provider called Con Hem AB. I don't want to engage him in further discussion, but it is worth noting that Sweden has some of the most draconianly invasive investigation powers of any country. This is not just internal traffic but anything that passes across the Swedish border in or out. He sounds very English rather than Swedish, so he would be easy for them to target. Look out for a sad git in Converse trainers licking the screen in an internet cafe! :evil:

Dammit! This is more intriguing than my story! :D :evil:
snaps
Crew Member

Postby fish » Mon Mar 14, 2011 3:30 am

ImageImage

Fish
fish
Crew Member

PreviousNext

Return to Anything else