Scandinavian Crime Fiction

Discuss anything on your mind, with focus on films and music though.

Moderator: Ian

Re: Scandinavian Crime Fiction

Postby fish » Sun Oct 11, 2009 8:39 am

snaps wrote:Don't you have bookstores in Australia?

But, but, but, that would mean leaving my prison cell and venturing into the big wide world, :shock: and you never know what evil awaits out there. :evil:

snapsie wrote:....Melbourne (or was it Brisbane? )

Same place really. Never did believe those myths about a second city to the east. :roll:

snapsalander wrote:....maw caw of family vultures circling in the distance...

Sounds like the "reading of the will" I went to a while back.

Lisnap Salander wrote:I tire easily and hope for the peace of slumber but night devils call and peck through the membrane of unconsciousness.

You mean there's someone else who sleeps as poorly as I? :shock:

Lisbeth Snapders wrote:When did I stop believing?

I always believe what people tell me. It annoys the f*ck out of them when I do that. :lol: :T
My family motto is "Maintain the Cynicism".
Fish
fish
Crew Member

Postby snaps » Sun Oct 11, 2009 8:56 am

fish wrote: My family motto is "Maintain the Cynicism".

Very wise Mr fishcake, otherwise life would be total carp. :P
snaps
Crew Member

Postby snaps » Sun Oct 18, 2009 11:32 pm

Last edited by snaps on Fri Dec 11, 2009 10:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
snaps
Crew Member

Postby fish » Mon Oct 19, 2009 3:00 am

My name is fish, and I used to think I had a problem. :x
Then I heard about Lisbeth's problem. :shock:
It's not just like our problems are not in the same league, they're not even on the same planet. :T

I promise to be much more gentle and kind to Lisbeth in all our future meetings. :Y

Now, will someone please help me hide all the chairs before she arrives? *:|*
Fish
fish
Crew Member

Postby fish » Wed Aug 25, 2010 11:55 am

Around thirteen months ago I first became aware of the late author Stieg Larsson and his "Millennium Trilogy".
Through fair means and foul I was able to find a DVD with English sub-titles of each of the three films drawn from those books. I loved them, they were the best, most intriguing films I'd seen in ages.

That was the river.

This is the sea.

I've just today finished the last of the three books. It's taken me about six weeks only because I had to limit the amount of time I was spending reading them each day. That was the most difficult part, putting them down when it was time.

The meticulous drawing of the characters, the "big-picture" storyline, the small detail incidents, not once did there seem to be anything out of place. What I learned in Dragon Tattoo became background for Fire which in turn led to Hornets' Nest. Who knows where a fourth may have taken us.

Many characters met their demise, but those that endured I know as well as I know my closest friends. Mikael and Erica, Armansky and Palmgren, heroes all, but undoubtedly the hero of heroes is Lisbeth. I'm not ashamed to say that I occasionally shed a tear at some emotional moments in films, but never with a book. Until now. I became so proud of this ficticious character in her stuggles that I was moved to tears on more than one occasion.

I am glad that I've seen the films, I'll watch and enjoy them again, but I am especially pleased that I saw them before I read the books. I could see Kalle Bastard Blomqvist, Ricki, even Björk (Agnes will never forgive him), but the image of Sally is now permanently ingrained. I'm sorry to say it Noomi but this is going to be a hard act to follow.

Lastly it would be remiss of me not to give my great thanks to a certain redhead for showing me the way.
Snaps, for you. Image
Fish
fish
Crew Member

Postby snaps » Thu Aug 26, 2010 1:42 am

Oh sweetie, you say the nicest things! :)

I am pleased you made the effort and that you felt it was rewarded.

Truly, having watched the films, I am more than pleased with what Noomi brought to the role, though have to confess when I've read the books I always imagined a certain Bex Liljeberg playing the part, albeit under draconian direction from myself. If I had been directing I would have pissed her off so much that every line of Lisbeth Salander would be spat out at the camera. It would have been the performance of a lifetime.

As you are aware there are massive legal issues surrounding the Millenium trilogy. I forked out 18 quid just to buy a copy of ''The Man Who Left Too Soon'' by Barry Forshaw, the unauthorised, but authoratative biographer of Stieg Larsson. Well worth it.

There IS a part completed fourth novel, but such are the legal entanglments it will not see the light of day.

I have already provide some sketches on here and elsewhere about ''The Mystery of Chako Paul'' etc. I have worked with my collaborator Sam on drafting storylines. We even considered basing the storyline on ''Camilla Salander'' the twin sister of Lisbeth who bareyly rates more than half a page collectively in the trilology but was VERY obviuosly intended by Stieg to play a major role in the ensuing plot.

We have taken legal advice and even found an expert in New Zealand of all places.

Basically the message is as far as charcters are concerned ''untouchable'' not because of the storyline but because of the financial interests involved.

In short, it's about money. We could and would be more successful in doing a total rip off from FA/SML. Sure Lukas would be pissed off, but it would only be worthwhile to sue if it made big money, which we would be happy to mediate as a share out.

Millenium is a totally different prospect.

Our current project is called ''The Killing of Stieg Larsson''

Sure the title may seem on surface rather tasteless, but the story is meant to be respectful. it introduces totally orginal characters (one of whom is me *:)* Sure it is cashing in on the name but in a serious way. ''Chako Paul'' is an engaging sci-fantasy trip. It is meant to bolster the viewpoint that Stieg Larsson was a serious sci-fi adept from his teenage years onwards, President of the Swedish Sci-fi Association etc. It is NOT meant as representing how Stieg would have wriiten the fourth novel.

We are currently working on this, and taking legal advice as we go along. If it ends up as a minor self-published novel we will be happy. We will probably not be hassled. If it gets taken on by a publisher and it sells we anticipate shit.

Faaaark! I may even get transported to Australia as a crim with no means of paying off her legal debts. Keep that spare room aired for me! :lol: :lol:
snaps
Crew Member

Postby fish » Thu Aug 26, 2010 2:20 pm

I can imagine the kind of strict discipline you would have used on Bex, but then that would have made it a film of a completely different genre, surely. :)P :P :lol:

I wasn't aware of ALL of the issues surrounding the trilogy. It seems like they would make it impossible to have meaningful follow up works, however it isn't necessarily a bad thing if Stieg is allowed to rest in peace. Any author following his trail would then be forced to create their own charcters and situations. If they put as much work into it as Stieg then I'm sure they would have a chance at success.

If you're w*rking on a Larsson type project, (with yourself as a charcter *:)* ), ( :)P ), it's probably a good thing to have to create pretty much everything from new. When it's done you will certainly have tested yourself beside the highest of benchmarks. I wish you well.

snaps wrote:...Faaaark! I may even get transported to Australia as a crim with no means of paying off her legal debts. Keep that spare room aired for me! :lol: :lol:

You're welcome anytime. Image
Errr.
You don't mind doubling up I hope?
And as for "airing the room".
I think that's not something in TD's vocabulary. :roll: :lol:
Fish
fish
Crew Member

Postby fish » Fri Sep 24, 2010 5:19 am

Interesting article about the lineage/heritage of a certain Ms Salander.

"Pippi Longstocking, With Dragon Tattoo"
http://www.nytimes.com/2010/05/23/weekinreview/23ryan.html
Fish
fish
Crew Member

Postby Ian » Fri Sep 24, 2010 10:54 am

Interesting.

But let's not restart the forum obsession with Pippi again, please no. :shock: :lol:
Ian
Webmaster

Postby snaps » Fri Sep 24, 2010 9:18 pm

A bit of idle journalism. Omits to mention that Lisbeth Salander is a natural redhead like Pippi. More importantly, that the character of Lisbeth was actually based by Stieg Larsson to a great extent on his real-life wayward niece, Terese. And no. I'm not her.

I actually think the character of Elin owes more than a little something to Pippi: absent Father, disrespectful of authority, school-underachiever, popular but aloof from friends, risk-taking, day-dreamer, fantazises about exotic places and people err like Agnes :Z :oops:

You SHALL be subjected to more Pippi though, meheheh

snaps
Crew Member

Postby Ian » Sat Sep 25, 2010 1:43 am

I knew that was coming. :wink:
Ian
Webmaster

Postby fish » Sat Sep 25, 2010 10:52 am

snaps wrote:...You SHALL be subjected to more Pippi though, meheheh...

Yay Lis.... oops, I mean Pippi. :oops: *:)*
Fish
fish
Crew Member

Postby fish » Tue Nov 02, 2010 8:14 am

From http://www.sallysfriends.net/nest/
Appears to be a very comprehensive site dealing with many aspects of Stieg Larsson's Millenium Trilogy.

Worth a look.
Fish
fish
Crew Member

Postby snaps » Wed Nov 10, 2010 12:36 pm

The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo director lashes out at US remake

Neils Arden Oplev criticises casting of American actor in lead role of Lisbeth Salander in American version of Swedish film

http://www.guardian.co.uk/film/2010/nov/09/girl-dragon-tattoo-american-remake
snaps
Crew Member

Postby Ian » Thu Nov 11, 2010 12:21 am

He's 100% right, of course.

Good to see Let Me In flopping, mind. :lol: :wink: :P
Ian
Webmaster

PreviousNext

Return to Anything else