Scandinavian Crime Fiction

Discuss anything on your mind, with focus on films and music though.

Moderator: Ian

Re: Scandinavian Crime Fiction

Postby fish » Tue Feb 01, 2011 5:56 am

Only took me three reads.

And I still have to ask. :roll:

Like a Salvadore Dali observation of the current wave of right wing governments across Europe.

I think I understand what I see/read.

But with all the intricacies to befuddle my senses, how can my simple mind be sure? :?

I'll take the plunge.

A criticism of the Swedish ("maybe Switzerland, Germany, or Austria.") government of the day. :?:

Tell me please.
Before I comment on Local I'd rather keep my mouth shut and be thought a fool, than to open it and remove all doubt. :T
Fish
fish
Crew Member

Postby snaps » Tue Feb 01, 2011 2:47 pm

Thank you for your interest. Within the next week I will post some notes on ''work in progress''. The extracts and sketches I have posted may appear to be a confusing montage (or is that blancmange ? :D ) Perhaps the notes will help to explain how the plot and character planning fit together. The format is very fluid at this stage.

The ''Man In Two Minds'' set in January 1945 just before Hitler's retreat to the Führer-bunker is the oldest historically. I'm sorry about the confusion of "maybe Switzerland, Germany, or Austria." this was a last minute addition by me to detract from the illustration of the viewing bacony at the Berghof, Hitler's mountain retreat at Berchtesgarten. It is basically a rewrite of an old story by Sam exploring the mind(s) of Hitler :T I used it as a way of explaining the logic behind the central focus on ''The mystery of Chako Paul''. Originally it was going to be a three-way conversation between Hitler, Himmler and Mengele. It just seemed a more entertaining way of letting the plot unfold.

We know that the story of Chako Paul is REAL, although the TRUTH is a myth. I have sought to give explanations to some essential questions: why would 20,000 women be located there (they are the selected seedcorn of a new Aryan destiny), how come they seem invisible(they live deep underground, plus they are vampires), how do they survive the cold (cryogenic hibernation), what do they survive on (blood tranfusions), how did they get there etc (as part of the Mengele plot, transported in 1945).

On reflection I wouldn't use this at the beginning as it gives too much away, but probably as part of the denouement, at the final confrontation between Blomkvist and Salander ranged against the forces of darkness as the Chako Paul ''nest'' is about to be revived and unleashed. Perhaps as a story recounted by a cryogenically revived Mengele (the new self-proclaimed Führer).

I'm not sure that theLocal.se is really the best place for posting my material. I'm revising my approach. This is especially so with the major disclosure (if you follow the spats between Eva Gabrielsson and the Larsson family) that ''Yellow Bird'' acquired ''continuation rights'' on the Stieg Larsson ''intellectual property'' (i.e. principally the characters of Blomkvist and Salander). In other words, the rights are not as restricted as previously believed. ANYONE could write a sequel and have it published and made into a film by Yellow Bird. *:)* <<<<<< me, me, me !!

I don’t write like Stieg Larsson (if only!) my style is consciously sparse like flashfiction and has elements of Stephenie Meyer and Michael Moorcock present. What I am consciously trying to do is to drive the plots forward into the context of 2010. So themes like the rise of the far-right Sweden Democrats, the Wikileaks/ computer hacking revelations, the darkside of Sweden e.g. the Eugenics sterilisation programme against the Sami from 1935 onwards, all come to bear. The principal characters also need to age a few years, develop but without becoming dull.

:)
snaps
Crew Member

Postby fish » Wed Feb 02, 2011 8:25 am

snaps wrote:... Hitler's mountain retreat at Berchtesgarten...

Surprisingly, to me anyway, I did recognise that from TV doco's and such.

snaps wrote:...I used it as a way of explaining the logic behind the central focus on ''The mystery of Chako Paul''...

That piece of context is so helpful. On its own it just seemed an isolated political critique, but you've now opened up its relationship to "Chako Paul", and I can't wait to read more of THAT story.

snaps wrote:...major disclosure (if you follow the spats between Eva Gabrielsson and the Larsson family) that ''Yellow Bird'' acquired ''continuation rights'' on the Stieg Larsson ''intellectual property''...

So, what you have then is a story removed from just "fan fiction" and placed firmly in Yellow Bird's in-basket of potential new storylines. Is that a place you want/need to be?

Where to from here?
Fish
fish
Crew Member

Postby snaps » Sat Feb 05, 2011 2:01 pm

fish wrote:So, what you have then is a story removed from just "fan fiction" and placed firmly in Yellow Bird's in-basket of potential new storylines. Is that a place you want/need to be?

Where to from here?

Not sure yet. Need to get over my headcold first. :cry: I'm going to keep working on sketches and background research that mosaic into the bigger story. Sam needs to advance matters but he's tied up with the day job till end of March, maybe even June :( Yellow Bird are open to submissions but insist that the ''pitch'' is no more than 200 words. Need to work on a full synopsis and chapter samples just in case they come back and say they are really, really, really interested. What is needed is a co-writer at the Swedish end who can help knock it into shape. I want to write in a substantial part that could be convincingly played by Alexandra in a film version *:)* I have several female lead roles in the story but *coughs* :oops: she is getting a bit too old to play them *:|* It would be nice to see Alex playing a ''baddie'' mehe heh :evil: a lesbian vampire driller killer :twisted:
snaps
Crew Member

Postby Ian » Sun Feb 06, 2011 12:03 am

You dirty old woman. :wink: :P O-)

The best of luck, my friend. :D
Ian
Webmaster

Postby snaps » Sat Feb 12, 2011 11:51 pm

http://www.thelocal.se/blogs/zalarusse/?p=304

I've kinda hammered this into shape as an introduction to the novel with advice from others. Got over the problem of the five-year gap by rolling back the main events into 2004 rather than 2009. Its only 700+ words but it has to be enough to draw the reader in. What do you reckon? Kicking it back into 2004 leaves me short on two counts: The Georgina Moon character (based on me) was originally going to be a young guy as I'm short on male characters, but this is the only way it'll make sense. Maybe he can be a contemporary of hers at uni? But I don't want too many 18 year olds. Perhaps a slightly more mature student enrolled in college. Someone who is nice, not really clued up on whats happening, but dependable, gets them out of scrapes in tough situations. I could base him on Ian :idea: a Dr Whovian type. He doesn't read my shit :lol: He'd never know! :D I still need a strong female character for Alex to play :T and I really want her to be evil! :twisted:
snaps
Crew Member

Postby Juule » Sun Feb 13, 2011 12:13 am

snaps wrote:Its only 700+ words but it has to be enough to draw the reader in. What do you reckon?

I think it does that very well. :Y
Juule
Crew Member

Postby Ian » Sun Feb 13, 2011 1:33 am

I'd be flattered if anyone actually based a character on me, snapsie. :lol:

Hell, I base characters on practically everyone I've ever met. :wink:

I do read SOME of your stuff, though, snapsie, so you'd better watch it. :wink: :P :D
Ian
Webmaster

Postby fish » Sun Feb 13, 2011 5:51 am

snaps wrote:...Perhaps a slightly more mature student enrolled in college. Someone who is nice, not really clued up on whats happening, but dependable, gets them out of scrapes in tough situations...

:D

You can always trust the fish. Image
Fish
fish
Crew Member

Postby Ian » Sun Feb 13, 2011 10:03 am

Fish loves his new emoticon. :D
Ian
Webmaster

Postby snaps » Sat Feb 19, 2011 11:31 pm

snaps
Crew Member

Postby fish » Sun Feb 20, 2011 9:17 am

Do we know any short blonde Swedish women who could play the role of Malin? :?
Hmmmm. Image

I'm really getting into this story now Snaps. I want to buy the book, and the movie, and the poster, and whatever other merchandise you're organising. *:)* :T :P
Fish
fish
Crew Member

Postby Juule » Sun Feb 20, 2011 2:07 pm

fish wrote:I want to buy the book, and the movie, and the poster, and whatever other merchandise you're organising. *:)* :T :P

Me too! *:)*
Juule
Crew Member

Postby snaps » Sun Feb 20, 2011 8:49 pm

Awww fanq guys :D It's sorta coalescing now into something semi-coherent. I'm working on producing about 10 - 12 of these sketches as being the opening chapter to introduce the main players. I will have to re-write and manipulate the time lines to interweave events, and cross-reference characters more than in these drafts, so that it has more continuity. I'm genuinely happy about the last posting taking the reader through a series of revelations i.e. the Einsatzleiter is female not male, dropping in hints and clues about height, hair colour etc to suggest she is Lisbeth when the denoument is that the character is in fact her twin sister nemesis Camilla. Well-spotted fishy :lol: the similar height blonde badgurl Malin is indeed the part I wanted to create for Alexandra. I also want to create a short Hitchcock like cameo role for Bex but it probably won't be in this part unless I make her a toilet cleaner who overhears things she shouldn't, and then meets a sticky end :twisted: mehhehehehe :T I also want to tease and make the Reader wait a while til Lisbeth and Mikael make an appearance. All Good things are worth waiting for :Y The aim is to have a coherent joined-up print ready first chapter in place, then do a 200 word pitch to Yellow Bird, with the offer of a first chapter to follow if they're interested. I'll need a change of underwear if they say they want to see the full Monty! :shock: What they want is more likely to be a screenplay version, which is a lot easier for me to write, but its useful to have the full cream novel ready in the background in case anything comes of this. I'm also pushing the limits of my welcome with Sam, because I'd be lost without his guidance on the technicalties and history. I'm also STILL seriously short on producing an INTERESTING young MALE lead character, which is it's biggest weakness at the mo. :? Any suggestions for role models ? (Ian excepted of course :lol: )
snaps
Crew Member

Postby fish » Mon Feb 21, 2011 9:01 am

snaps wrote:...I also want to create a short Hitchcock like cameo role for Bex but it probably won't be in this part unless I make her a toilet cleaner who overhears things she shouldn't, and then meets a sticky end :twisted: mehhehehehe :T

That's not worthy of you Snaps. Funny as hell, but not worthy. :P :lol: :roll:

snaps wrote:...I'm also STILL seriously short on producing an INTERESTING young MALE lead character, which is it's biggest weakness at the mo. :? Any suggestions for role models ? (Ian excepted of course :lol: )

Hmm, no Ian, eh?

Ok, remember Tom?
Kim's stalker from next door in Sugar Rush?

He's plays Tommy in the film of "Never Let Me Go" which I've just started reading. From the few clips I've seen his character seems to have a lot more depth and complexity.

Just thinkin', mind. :roll:

Cathy (Carey Mulligan), Ruth (Keira Knightly) and Tommy (Andrew Garfield)
Fish
fish
Crew Member

PreviousNext

Return to Anything else