Let The Right One In

Moderator: Ian

Re: Let The Right One In

Postby fish » Sat Dec 17, 2011 8:01 am

DMt. wrote:Well, it's a good thing you were already done before I barged in, because I've only just seen this plea, after posting...cool tho'. 8).

Uh oh!
I hope I timed it right too. :shock:
Fish
fish
Crew Member

Postby snaps » Sun Jan 15, 2012 6:59 pm

[note to Ian/ Ole] : I'll just park this on here temporarily, if you don't mind. It was removed by a Moderator on the LTROI/ wti site last night, with neither warning nor explanation.

When I requested a reason, I was told, Quote: ''Your posting was removed due to it's political nature,..''

(You may judge for yourself :shock: :roll: ). It is intended as a model for how a putative incomplete fourth novel by Stieg Larsson may have looked. The discussion was in the context of the latest work John Ajvide Lindqvist is working on. I suggested that Lindqvist would have been a good choice to complete the novel. Some of you may have seen parts of this before, in articles and book reviews I have had published in the Swedish media.

CASTLES IN THE AIR THAT EXPLODED

Preface

..... And when you want to Live, How do you start? Where do you go? Who do you need to know?’

Morrissey: lyrics from ‘The Boy With The Thorn In His Side’

Tuesday, November 9th 2004

The fifty-year old Swedish, anti-fascist journalist Karl Stig-Erland Larsson arrives at the Stockholm building which houses the offices of Norstedts, the publishers. ‘Stieg’, as he is to be known for his fictional work, is on his way to a meeting with Eva Gedin, his editor. On finding the elevator apparently broken down, he rapidly scales the seven flights of stairs to her office. The over-exertion it seems, is sufficient to precipitate terminal heart failure.

‘… his relentless personality and political convictions did not make his life easy. He famously reported on some dangerous neo-Nazi organisations in Sweden, which lead to numerous death threats. In fact, since his death, officially caused by a massive heart attack, there has been much speculation that his enemies had a hand in his premature demise.’

From ‘The Man Who Left Too Soon’, the biography of Stieg Larsson, by Barry Forshaw.

In November 2009, newspapers run with the story of Chako Paul City. It begins with media reports in the Chinese press agencies Xinhua and Harbin News. The Chinese press give publicity to an incredible story. According to legend, in Northern Sweden, there is a town known as Chako Paul City or ‘Shakobao’. It consists mainly of female occupants and is run on principles of lesbian democracy. Allegedly founded in 1820 by a wealthy widowed heiress, it supports a population of twenty-five thousand women. Swedish tourist websites crash, inundated with frustrated (and wealthy) Chinese men, looking for the perfect holiday vacation. Of course it seems utterly absurd.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chako_Paul_City

This urban myth turns up elsewhere in the World. For some, the perfect holiday location? For others, a living nightmare? It doesn’t exist on the map. If it did exist, ‘Chako Paul’ would be one of the largest communities in Northern Sweden, and anyway, how would it be self-sustaining? Like many a legend, perhaps there is some true story to be uncovered. Even better though, it suits the purposes of others, when history and ’the truth’ can be buried deep underground.

Chako Paul is better known to the Swedish Security Service, as ‘Chakra Thule’. It doesn’t exist on the surface. It is buried deep underground in the complex of iron ore minings in Northern Sweden, along with the horde of Nazi looted gold which has financed its existence. How do they survive constant sub-zero temperatures? They don’t need to. They are in total suspended animation in a process designed by Dr Josef Mengele, the war-time Nazi medical experimenter. Just sufficient of them on duty at any one time to keep the cryogenic processes maintained. But what do they feed on? Blood. These are the inheritors. The Valkyrja. The worker-sect seek out fresh contributors all the time.

snaps
Crew Member

Postby fish » Mon Jan 16, 2012 9:00 am

snaps wrote: ...I was told, Quote: ''Your posting was removed due to it's political nature,..'' ...

Obviously they didn't read it. :roll: :T

Once my operation is finished I'm going to become a lesbian and move to northern Sweden. *:)* :)P *:)* :lol:
Fish
fish
Crew Member

Postby Ian » Mon Jan 16, 2012 9:47 am

Me too. Minus the moving to Sweden part. :P
Ian
Webmaster

Postby snaps » Wed Jan 18, 2012 8:57 pm

I'll park it here. Based on a article what I wrote for anuvver website.

Vampyrer (2008)

Has anyone else seen this Swedish film a.k.a. ‘Not Like Others’? The main reason I bought the DVD was 1) The cover notes said ‘A superbly crafted horror film in the tradition of “Let The Right One In”, “Not Like Others” is a chilling and original take on the vampire genre.’ Similarly a quote from a review on ‘Quiet Earth’ said ‘Similar in execution to “Let The Right One In” … heavy on realism and big on ideas.’

The ‘story’ is about two vampire sisters, Vera and Vanja, aged in their twenties. Vanja wants to give up on the vampire life, and settle for a life of normality. Vera opposes this change in lifestyle. All is thrown into confusion though, after the leader of a Bikers gang is killed. Vera and Vanja are on the run from the remaining bikers.

And that is about it. Most of the film is taken up with the relationship between the sisters. The plot is very thin. A major credibility problem is that the four bikers keep successfully keep tracking them down. How? In a city the size of Stockholm?

The acting is rather challenged, with not much sparkling dialogue to sink their vampire teeth into. {Contains Ruth Vega Fernandez of ''Kiss mig'' fame playing the part of Vera}. Cinematography is good, particularly in the chase scenes. Incidental music is not especially memorable, but is creepy and atmospheric. At 72 minutes it is somewhat overstretched. (I actually fell asleep the first time I watched it). With some editing it could have made for a reasonable 50 – 55 minute TV film. With more of an extended plot to engage us it could possibly have been more like a feature length film.

I failed to see much of connection with “Let The Right One In”. Characterisation did not leave much room for the dramatic. The sisters relationship was tense but not complex. There was no real struggle with morality issues. The ideas were rather pale and not very demanding of the audience.

Not a bad film certainly. More like one to watch late at night when you are tired. It certainly won’t give you nightmares, and keep you awake!
snaps
Crew Member

Postby DMt. » Wed Jan 18, 2012 10:19 pm

LTROI - praise with faint 'damn!'s

Vampyrzzz - damn with faint praise

:wink:
"To learn who rules over you, simply find out who you are not allowed to criticize" - Voltaire
DMt.
Crew Member

Postby fish » Thu Jan 19, 2012 8:23 am

I watched Vampyrer some time ago on Rupertvision.

I enjoyed the start, with that little incident with the biker in the toilet, but I can't even remember the rest of the story, so it can't have really got me in.

I might watch it if/when it's scheduled again, but I don't intend rushing out for the dvd. *:|*
Fish
fish
Crew Member

Postby katka » Fri Jan 20, 2012 7:40 pm

I heard about this movie recently just passing through Ruth's filmography. I did not read positive comments about it, so I still will not find too much to download. Well I would guess look at it for Ruth, who is in Kyss mig quite nice and sympathetic. Otherwise, I not interested in vampire movies too much. :roll:
katka
Crew Member

Postby DMt. » Wed Dec 12, 2012 2:40 am

LTROI is a pre-pubertal love story in which one of the boys [who looks just like a girl] is a vampire, not a 'vampire movie'. No garlic or heaving bodices :wink:

Give it a chance, you may be very pleasantly surprised.
"To learn who rules over you, simply find out who you are not allowed to criticize" - Voltaire
DMt.
Crew Member

Postby Dahls » Wed Dec 12, 2012 11:38 pm

I'm certain that Kat (in her almost one year old post :P) was talking about the mentioned 'Vampyrer' film, and not LTROI. :wink:
Saw Vampyrer a couple of years ago, thought it was pretty bad, even for a low budget film.

LTROI on the other hand is of course, like you said, much much more then just a vampire film :wink:
Dahls
Crew Member

Postby Cheevers4ever » Thu Dec 13, 2012 1:24 am

Dahls wrote:I'm certain that Kat (in her almost one year old post :P) was talking about the mentioned 'Vampyrer' film, and not LTROI. :wink:
Saw Vampyrer a couple of years ago, thought it was pretty bad, even for a low budget film.

LTROI on the other hand is of course, like you said, much much more then just a vampire film :wink:

Which is what makes it special andmade it stand out.

It was a story of Friendship and love with Vampire's somewhere thrown in the mix. Something Twilight could have learned from.
This film replaced Fucking Amal on the top of the best Swedish Films ever for me , its the Film Moodysson should have made after Together (i Love Lilya 4 ever by the way).

Just a sad but heartfelt film about grown up.
Cheevers4ever
Gold Member

Postby DMt. » Thu Dec 13, 2012 9:50 pm

The saturnine, bittersweet pleasures of LTROI...I can't imagine Kats seeing it and not commenting.

Although, believe it or not, I have occasionally been proved wrong.

I was happy when I learned that Hoyte von Hoytema was again DP for Alfredson's next outing Tinker, Tailor... 8)
DMt.
Crew Member

Postby Cheevers4ever » Thu Dec 13, 2012 10:54 pm

DMt. wrote:The saturnine, bittersweet pleasures of LTROI...I can't imagine Kats seeing it and not commenting.

Although, believe it or not, I have occasionally been proved wrong.

I was happy when I learned that Hoyte von Hoytema was again DP for Alfredson's next outing Tinker, Tailor... 8)

What did you think of Tinker,Tailor.. Dmt?
Cheevers4ever
Gold Member

Postby DMt. » Thu Dec 13, 2012 11:22 pm

OK then...I was horribly prejudiced against Gary Oldman, but his Smiley is entirely credible, and he said himself he'd waited a long time for such a role.

Somebody rightly observed that at least one of Mr. Cumberbatch's suits should have had its own agent. He was great too, I'm glad I saw him as Peter Guillam before Sherlock [for some reason]. I'd only just read the book, and he was pretty much exactly as I saw Guillam, which was nice.

With Tomas and Hoyte at full bore, the film's pallette, though utterly different from LTROI, was just as consistent, this time in its tobacco-hued 70's grot, and again, they let the images speak for themselves, tell most of the story in fact.

Tom Hardy made his presence felt in an uncomfortably small time slot, a workmanlike job I thought; Cathy Burke, likewise...

Le Carre was onside for realism, and for me at least the downbeat subtlety and paranoia of the whole thing was a thousand times more engaging than CGI Bond...sorry, will that do? :mrgreen:
DMt.
Crew Member

Postby Dahls » Fri Dec 14, 2012 1:45 am

DMt. wrote:Although, believe it or not, I have occasionally been proved wrong.

Happens when you're forgetful, old man. :P

katka wrote:So I finally watched ,,Låt den rätte komma in'' last three days back (your still calling LTROI - until recently I didn't know what the abbreviation means). Very good film I have to say. :wink: Too natural and realistic till of which freezes. :)

:mrgreen:
Dahls
Crew Member

PreviousNext

Return to Entertainment