English Commentary of FA

Discuss Lukas Moodysson's first feature film Fucking Åmål (Show me Love).

Moderator: Ian

English Commentary of FA

Postby IWokeUpToday » Thu Apr 12, 2012 5:35 pm

Hi all,

I've been trying to get my hands on an English language subtitle file for the commentary track of Fucking Åmål. The first one I found online works up until the hitchhiking scene, after which it loops, then becomes garbled (confirmed by viewing the file in plaintext), upon searching other sites for the subtitles, it seems _every_ single site I find is hosting this corrupted version, I downloaded it from about 7 or 8 sites, all the same corrupt file.

I've also searched these forums, it seems over 5 years ago some user was emailing a transcript around, but I assume that account's dead. Anyone know if there exists this translation? The first 30 minutes were great, really looking forward to hearing the rest of it.

Cheers,
IwokeUpToday
IWokeUpToday

Re: English Commentary of FA

Postby DMt. » Thu Apr 12, 2012 7:34 pm

Is this a director's commentary [presumably a .srt subtitle file], or an English dialogue transcript?

If the latter, I have a copy which you are welcome to. I think it might be the one you mention.
"To learn who rules over you, simply find out who you are not allowed to criticize" - Voltaire
DMt.
Crew Member

Postby IWokeUpToday » Fri Apr 13, 2012 7:55 am

Thanks DMt, but unfortunately I'm after the subtitle (srt or otherwise) of Lukas Moodysson's commentary audio track that plays on dvd versions of the film. It seems very hard to come by.
IWokeUpToday

Postby fish » Fri Apr 13, 2012 9:33 am

Welcome IWokeUpToday. :W

I have 4 copies of FÅ on DVD, all with different subs, but I've never found the mythical one with Lukas' commentary, so I'm absolutely no help to anyone in this conversation. I think I'll just slink away. :oops:
Welcome again. :W *:)*
Fish
fish
Crew Member

Postby Ian » Fri Apr 13, 2012 11:09 am

Welcome. I'm afraid I have no idea either though! :(
Ian
Webmaster

Postby DMt. » Fri Apr 13, 2012 2:22 pm

I found that .srt files will open in, umm, OpenOffice [probably any text editor, really], so if the original isn't total garbage after the cutoff point you mention, perhaps it can be repaired? One bad timing cue might be enough to throw it off...that's all I can suggest, I'm afraid.
"To learn who rules over you, simply find out who you are not allowed to criticize" - Voltaire
DMt.
Crew Member

Postby snaps » Fri Apr 13, 2012 5:05 pm

Hi and Welcome *:)*

I've certainly never heard of a commentary track, not in Swedish nor English, by Lukas. It really doesn't sound like his style. I think there may be some text notes on one of the DVD versions. I have seen text versions of the subtitles, the Swedish script version (as in the book) and a couple of English translations of the same. He did do an in-depth interview with some buffoon from the British Film Institute combined with a showing of Lilya 4ever, accompanied (though out of sight) by Oksana. This is on the Lilya4ever version in the box set. A transcript is available from The Guardian newspaper archives.

Do let us now if you trace the mythical commentary track, as I'm sure we would all like to know. :D
snaps
Crew Member

Postby DMt. » Fri Apr 13, 2012 5:14 pm

I had a look at some .srt's of this and they are indeed a hell of a mess, unrecoverable.

All I can think is, if anyone does have a DVD with this commentary track, it might be possible to extract it...somehow :roll:
DMt.
Crew Member

Postby Agnes&Elin Forever! » Fri Apr 13, 2012 9:16 pm

There is indeed a commentary track by Lukas Moodysson on the swedish dvd release of FÅ.

And Ole did an english translation of it several years back and it's been available on the net.

I'm surprised you weren't aware of this Snaps.

Maybe it's this you're referring to IWokeUpToday?

Unlike the first two releases the latest swedish dvd of Få has english subtitles, but I don't know if the commentary track is translated as well.

I don't have this dvd myself.

If it is translated then there's a professionally made translation of this track as well.
Agnes&Elin Forever!
Crew Member

Postby Juule » Sat Apr 14, 2012 1:15 am

Agnes&Elin Forever! wrote:And Ole did an english translation of it several years back and it's been available on the net.

This?

No commentary track with English subtitles on my DVD either. *:|* Just Swedish, Norwegian and Finnish. :P
Juule
Crew Member

Postby DMt. » Sat Apr 14, 2012 4:09 am

Well done Juule! 8)
DMt.
Crew Member

Postby fish » Sat Apr 14, 2012 8:18 am

DMt. wrote:Well done Juule! 8)

Nicely done Juule. Image
Fish
fish
Crew Member

Postby katka » Sat Apr 14, 2012 11:47 am

so on that I didn't have really any idea :shock: , thank you :D , I'll read it sure when I will have more time. *:)*
katka
Crew Member

Postby IWokeUpToday » Sat Apr 14, 2012 3:10 pm

Thanks a lot all, really appreciate it.

I wanted to watch this while watching the movie so wrote a script to convert it into the srt format, it required a bit of tweaking to get the chapter offsets correct (the timestamps reset at each chapter), but I got it fairly close. While I was at it I corrected some of the grammatical mistakes (only some), and adjusted some subtitles to appear longer on the screen (sometimes 4 lines of text would only show for like 2 seconds). Also, I changed instances of the letter 'å' to a simple 'a' because my media player couldn't handle that character. The contents of the srt can be found here: http://pastebin.com/1Em719J3 if somebody has a good place to host that as a file it might be a good idea.

Hope somebody finds this useful.

Cheers,
I woke up today.
IWokeUpToday

Postby snaps » Sat Apr 14, 2012 7:56 pm

Juule wrote: This?

I think an apology is in order. :evil: From ... me :oops:

I know, having read it, that I have seen this some time before. It just didn't register. :roll: In my researches I have trawled over 120 old SML/FA fansites and webpages, hundreds of articles, interviews, and reviews.

I guess I lost track of time. :wink: Plus my brain isn't so good these days. :T

Nevermind! :D It would be good to see this Lukas narrative restored onto a downloadable version of SML/FA, at some point. *:)*
snaps
Crew Member

Next

Return to Fucking Åmål (Show Me Love)