Synopsis of my what my Fucking Amal FanFic will be

Post fan-fiction and fan art here!

Moderators: Ian, snaps

Forum rules
Please respect copyright laws.

Synopsis of my what my Fucking Amal FanFic will be

Postby Cheevers4ever » Wed Aug 01, 2012 3:23 am

A bit of a story to this, I decided to Join this great site after i went through my old scrapbooks of writings i had done back in 2007. I found this piece of a Synopsis i wrote as a sort of sequel to Fucking Amal 2, I know another :D . I usually write some to films that have a huge effect on me just for fun really just to imagine on how i would like to see these characters a few years on. Sounds wierd i know. But i taught i share my synopsis (i haven't rewritten it, its straight from my scrapbook) i have been working on a rewrite of this synopsis mostly to do with the second act and third act, which i will share over the next three days. So what i will show you right now is the First act of the Synopsis.

Before i write this, i will tell you Fucking Amal Fans and especially Agnes Fans, she's a very flawed character in my version , i have to be honest it will probably annoy a few fans in the way i want to protray her but i feel in my mind this is how i could see her. Plus my Story won't be in the same vain as Marta's or Nemo_Me, Agnes and Elin are a good few years older, also both have changed seen as in life we aren't always the same when we were teenagers and they ain't together. Plus This FanFic be more about Agnes and her reltionship to Amal and her choices she's made and her regrets. Elin is still a major part of this but it won't be the whole will they and won't they type of Fanfic. Its basically about A Woman getting old dealing with demons and trying to reconnect. I'm going for a more Moodysson approach then Romantic fanfic story here. I'm chatting to much anyway here's the first part of my Synopsis....

Agnes, a best selling Novellist with a debut novel called "Fucking Amal" based on her life as a teenager and her lesbian reltionship with Elin, which has become a teenage cult hit. She's been struggling to follow it up and has gone into a reclusive life in London with only her computer and photo's of her long lost love Elin to keep her company. She hasn't left her flat for months, and only sees her Publisher Scott, who brings her everything she wants who is slowly demanding a follow up to her Novel after he paid a huge advance on the follow up, which Agnes has spent on buying huge amounts of O'Boy and having a Private eye take photos of Elin which has spread over her bedroom wall. Scott feeling he is owed at least some payback for the advance tells Agnes that their is going to be a massive fan exhibition based on her Novel in all places Amal, and that Scott wants Agnes to go over for a Q and A. Agnes tells him no way and that he gets the novel at the end of the month . Agnes hasn't touched her computer for any writing in months as she's ran out of ideas for a novel and is out of inspriration and reads only her old poetry she wrote about her times with Elin. Plus out of the blue, She gets a letter from her old High school telling her they are about to have a ten year reunion, Having no intention of going she throws the invite in the bin. She's perfectly happy to live with the past plus Ever since her beloved Father Olof passed away , she just wanted to leave that Amal and bad times behind.

A knock on her Door, She knows it ain't her publisher Scott who has a special knock. The knocks get louder and louder. She thinks it could be the die hard Amal obessive fans that basically drove her to this reclusive life, She has to answer the door. She slowly opens the door. Standing in front of her is Oskar, her younger brother amd his Girlfriend Sara, an American who's using a Handheld camera. Oskar, a hippish young man with long hair and beard gives Agnes a massive hug, The only thing she happily take from Amal is her brother Oskar, who she hasn't seen in a year or two. Oskar has come back from Sweden to ask Agnes to come back and vist Karin, their mother. Who still hasn't got over her Daughter coming out and also the shame of writing a novel that aired out their dirty laundry and that also painted Karin badly. They haven't spoke our seen each other since Agnes came back for her fathers furenal. Oskar suggest seen as she's coming back for the Exhibition in amal that she could vist Karin. Sara, Oskars girlfriend hasn't said a word but is still filming a art piece she's making on Oskar's life both Agnes and Oskar are used to this seen as Oskar has been dating Sara for years. Agnes doesn't want to let Oskar down seen as he's everything to her plus he's always stood by her through her troubles. But asking Her to return to Amal is tough in itself but before he leaves Oskar gives Agnes a letter from the high school board who are running this high school reunion, she reads it the usual "we wish to see you there to celebrate the past and hopefully relive new ones" until she reads the name at the end that says Elin Olsson.This is the first time she's heard from Elin years ever since Agnes left her behind.

Agnes, who's still reeling over the long lost love she left go with Elin, her muse and everything she lived for.She got offered her dream job as a writer for a magazine in London. Elin promised she would go with Agnes and that they could leave behind Amal forever like they promised when they first met but pulled out in the last moment to stay in amal to take care and support her mother Birgitta, who had been seriously ill but Elin pushed for Agnes to go, even though Agnes wanted to stay. Its haunted her every day why she left as she felt Elin didn't truely love her. She wrote "Fucking Amal" to get back and hurt Elin for breaking her Heart so easily. Elins last words to Agnes were in a letter she written that she felt those special moments have been broken and that she felt betrayed. Agnes has had reltionships but they never live up to what she had with Elin, She never gave them much chance . Seen Her name at the End of the letter, Agnes now decides this is her time to go back and win Elin back. But not to cover this up she do the damn Exhibition and go through the hell of dealing with All the bad she had in the past with the likes of Camilla, Markus etc and the crap she more then likely get from her mother Karin just for that one moment with Elin.She decided to go back to Amal.

That is the first act of my synopsis for my story, what do you guys think? i like to hear some feedback. I'm just rewriting the second act and third act synopsis and i put them up over the next few days. Just felt The last two acts needed a bit more work. Do you guys think its a different take on the Agnes and Elin story? do you think it work on what you read in the Synopsis so far?

Thanks in advance for any feedback which will be grateful :)
Cheevers4ever
Gold Member

Re: Synopsis of my what my Fucking Amal FanFic will be

Postby DMt. » Wed Aug 01, 2012 10:10 am

I don't see why it can't be a fine piece of work. Go for it.
"To learn who rules over you, simply find out who you are not allowed to criticize" - Voltaire
DMt.
Crew Member

Postby Cheevers4ever » Wed Aug 01, 2012 12:07 pm

DMt. wrote:I don't see why it can't be a fine piece of work. Go for it.

i just feel as i dont rate my work too much i just wanted to throw out synopsis. Did you like what you read so far DMT?
Cheevers4ever
Gold Member

Postby snaps » Wed Aug 01, 2012 12:22 pm

Cheevers4ever wrote: The knocks get louder and louder. She thinks it could be the die hard Amal obessive fans that basically drove her to this reclusive life, She has to answer the door. She slowly opens the door.

It must be those people from the Fucking Amal Forum again! :D

You have some interesting ideas going here Cheevers. I think we all have our own interpretations of what might have happened next, or some years down the road, so it really is up to the individual writer. It all sounds good so far. Interesting, as we say ''great minds think alike'' In The Land That Is Not I had Agnes writing a book called (in-joke) Fucking Trollhatten I also had Agnes distance from Amal (in my case Stockholm), the death of Papa Olof as a milestone, and an attempt by Oskar to mediate with Karin and re-unite the family, (although in my story Oskar adds to the anguish of his mother by coming out as gay :lol: ) I think just dive in and let the keyboard run away with your ideas and see what turns up. It doesn't have to be like any of the other fanfic stories, and you don't need to justify your concepts to anyone. Just let rip and enjoy the creative challenge. I look forward to seeing more :)
snaps
Crew Member

Postby DMt. » Wed Aug 01, 2012 1:36 pm

What snapsie said!
"To learn who rules over you, simply find out who you are not allowed to criticize" - Voltaire
DMt.
Crew Member

Postby Cheevers4ever » Wed Aug 01, 2012 4:10 pm

snaps wrote:
Cheevers4ever wrote: The knocks get louder and louder. She thinks it could be the die hard Amal obessive fans that basically drove her to this reclusive life, She has to answer the door. She slowly opens the door.

It must be those people from the Fucking Amal Forum again! :D

You have some interesting ideas going here Cheevers. I think we all have our own interpretations of what might have happened next, or some years down the road, so it really is up to the individual writer. It all sounds good so far. Interesting, as we say ''great minds think alike'' In The Land That Is Not I had Agnes writing a book called (in-joke) Fucking Trollhatten I also had Agnes distance from Amal (in my case Stockholm), the death of Papa Olof as a milestone, and an attempt by Oskar to mediate with Karin and re-unite the family, (although in my story Oskar adds to the anguish of his mother by coming out as gay :lol: ) I think just dive in and let the keyboard run away with your ideas and see what turns up. It doesn't have to be like any of the other fanfic stories, and you don't need to justify your concepts to anyone. Just let rip and enjoy the creative challenge. I look forward to seeing more :)

thanks, both great minds do think alike :D . I always feel Agnes character would be a loner in later life and that she would write about whats close to her heart, i want this to be a bit more about Agnes then Elin to be honest about someone living fat too much of her past trying to get over her mistakes and hurdles. Papa Olof i always felt would have been the rock to keep the family strong with his death i feel the family would have fell apart as i feel Karin never got over the fact her only daughter was gay and that Agnes never grew up like Karin wanted her to be plus the Novel Agnes written didn't show Karin in good light and that Karin didn't liek the family's dirty little secret been viewed by the world. I think Oskar been gay for me was in a an early draft too :D but i felt that would have been a bit OTT. In another early draft i had Elin actually been married in a loveless marriage and actually having an Affair with Oskar who was a bit of a ladies man (probably due to the fact many of the guys in Amal taught he might be gay course of his sister been lesbian). Elin was only sleeping with him cause he looked a lot like Agnes and felt it was the closet she could get to Agnes, Oskar kinda knows it too. I feel it might have made Oskar a bit of a dislikeable character as he's been helping his sister get over her hatred of amal and trying to get his family back on track but then him sleeping with his sister only true love would have been a bit of a betrayal.

I start writting at the weekend so :)
Cheevers4ever
Gold Member

Postby snaps » Wed Aug 01, 2012 6:49 pm

Interesting, and I like the take on Oskar as a rather sly character. :lol:

I'll just give you a little fill-in on my outline for ''The Land That Is Not''. In my 10 years on story, I had Agnes eventually split with Elin, when she goes off to the Karolinska to train as a clinical psychologist. while she is at Uni she has a ''wild time'' as an out lesbian and becomes more of a party animal, although she returns to form later on. This is in contrast to Elin who marries young on the rebound from Agnes to Markus, who himself is on the rebound from his friend Johan Hult marrying Markus ex-gf Jessica (Elin's sister) which was kind of pointed-up in the film. Johan is a steady reliable worker and is self-employed in his own electrical installation business. Jessica likewise trains as a hairdresser and sets up her own small salon going back to work after having a baby. They love Amal, and Amal loves them. This is in sharp contrast to Markus and Elin who are never satisfied, with Amal nor with each other. (I borrowed the extended metaphor from Thomas Hardy and his treatment of characters in relation to their sense of ''belongingness'' in backwater rural Dorset).

Markus moves on from being a motor-mechanic to being a motor-mouthed successful car salesman. He always promises Elin the bright lights, but can never fulfil his promise to her to move away from Amal (he prefers being a big fish in a small pond). He tries to compensate by bringing in more and more money and buying bigger and more expensive homes and flash cars. He does this by trading in drugs but then this lifestyle catches up with him. in the mean-time, as many do he sees the solution in Elin having a child to care for. Elin's nightmare has come full circle, she has a baby boy, conceived as part of the control mechanism, house, car, and a husband who cheats on her with younger girls.

Time has moved on. We are in the age of the internet. Elin easily traces Agnes, who has a successful academic career, but is considered lacking in her skills of empathy as a clinician. Agnes turns to writing and becomes something of a celebrity. she settles in a strange triangular relationship with a former ''Miss Sweden'' (a painful comic reference to Elin's ambitions in the film) and a rather sleazy but succesful rock guitarist. Elin considers contacting Agnes via the internet many times as her situation becomes more desperate, but can never bring herself to press the SEND button. Her hand is forced when Markus gets busted by the cops, and grasses up his underworld contacts. Elin is warned her life is in danger. She leaves her boy Olof, (named after Papa Olof, who was kind to her) with Jessica and Johan, then heads off for Stockholm and Agnes (without contacting her), but with no clear plan of action.

Agnes life is also falling apart. Professionally she is a poor fit. She doesn't want to become an embittered writer. Her triangular relationship is collapsing at the point where she has convinced herself that if she could have a baby, all would be well. Behind the scenes Agnes is also under pressure from younger brother Oskar, who is now a student at Stockholm University. He wants to come out as gay to his mother Karin (long-since estranged from Agnes, who she blames for Papa Olof's premature stress-related death). Agnes finds herself going against type in trying to discourage Oskar from being out about his inclinations. Agnes has a dramatic unplanned encounter with Elin. It is certainly not riding off into the sunset together.They both have to learn to re-build their relationship from scratch for it to have any kind of future, and to see if they can re-ignite the spark.

The Coda story ''Happy Birthday Dear Agnes'' is one year on from these events when all the pieces of the jigsaw puzzle start to fall in place, to hopefully, a happy ending.
snaps
Crew Member

Postby Cheevers4ever » Wed Aug 01, 2012 7:22 pm

snaps wrote:Interesting, and I like the take on Oskar as a rather sly character. :lol:

I'll just give you a little fill-in on my outline for ''The Land That Is Not''. In my 10 years on story, I had Agnes eventually split with Elin, when she goes off to the Karolinska to train as a clinical psychologist. while she is at Uni she has a ''wild time'' as an out lesbian and becomes more of a party animal, although she returns to form later on. This is in contrast to Elin who marries young on the rebound from Agnes to Markus, who himself is on the rebound from his friend Johan Hult marrying Markus ex-gf Jessica (Elin's sister) which was kind of pointed-up in the film. Johan is a steady reliable worker and is self-employed in his own electrical installation business. Jessica likewise trains as a hairdresser and sets up her own small salon going back to work after having a baby. They love Amal, and Amal loves them. This is in sharp contrast to Markus and Elin who are never satisfied, with Amal nor with each other. (I borrowed the extended metaphor from Thomas Hardy and his treatment of characters in relation to their sense of ''belongingness'' in backwater rural Dorset).

Markus moves on from being a motor-mechanic to being a motor-mouthed successful car salesman. He always promises Elin the bright lights, but can never fulfil his promise to her to move away from Amal (he prefers being a big fish in a small pond). He tries to compensate by bringing in more and more money and buying bigger and more expensive homes and flash cars. He does this by trading in drugs but then this lifestyle catches up with him. in the mean-time, as many do he sees the solution in Elin having a child to care for. Elin's nightmare has come full circle, she has a baby boy, conceived as part of the control mechanism, house, car, and a husband who cheats on her with younger girls.

Time has moved on. We are in the age of the internet. Elin easily traces Agnes, who has a successful academic career, but is considered lacking in her skills of empathy as a clinician. Agnes turns to writing and becomes something of a celebrity. she settles in a strange triangular relationship with a former ''Miss Sweden'' (a painful comic reference to Elin's ambitions in the film) and a rather sleazy but succesful rock guitarist. Elin considers contacting Agnes via the internet many times as her situation becomes more desperate, but can never bring herself to press the SEND button. Her hand is forced when Markus gets busted by the cops, and grasses up his underworld contacts. Elin is warned her life is in danger. She leaves her boy Olof, (named after Papa Olof, who was kind to her) with Jessica and Johan, then heads off for Stockholm and Agnes (without contacting her), but with no clear plan of action.

Agnes life is also falling apart. Professionally she is a poor fit. She doesn't want to become an embittered writer. Her triangular relationship is collapsing at the point where she has convinced herself that if she could have a baby, all would be well. Behind the scenes Agnes is also under pressure from younger brother Oskar, who is now a student at Stockholm University. He wants to come out as gay to his mother Karin (long-since estranged from Agnes, who she blames for Papa Olof's premature stress-related death). Agnes finds herself going against type in trying to discourage Oskar from being out about his inclinations. Agnes has a dramatic unplanned encounter with Elin. It is certainly not riding off into the sunset together.They both have to learn to re-build their relationship from scratch for it to have any kind of future, and to see if they can re-ignite the spark.

The Coda story ''Happy Birthday Dear Agnes'' is one year on from these events when all the pieces of the jigsaw puzzle start to fall in place, to hopefully, a happy ending.

wow thats certainly a different direction for Agnes and Elin and the Fucking Amal universe, i like it that like me your not going down that route of them living happy ever after and the actually they haven't gone out and changed the world. I like that Elin is in a unhappy marriage(Thats the first thing i taught off when i tried to write my story, in my version the Husband knows his wife (Elin)doesn't love him but keeps quiet known full well his wife is out cheating on him) something that i want to show a lot of in my story. That actually both Agnes and Elin are just every bit as unhappy as they were when they first met as teenagers and their dreams haven't been any bit as good as they taught when they were younger. I like The bittersweet feel That these two beloved characters have actually not lived up to what we expect of them. Markus is in mine story too actually and he's a rich asshole too :D but he's only really seen at the Reunion.

I just wanted to ask you, one part i'm having a probelm with is Elin cheating on her husband, i want to show Elin isn't little miss perfect in which she likes to show to her Sister,mother and friends as the happy wife. That she's living a lie and actually isn't been herself. As you already know i said i taught Oskar would be having an affair with her another option i have is that she's actually going away for weekends to stockholm once a month to lesbian clubs and having one night stands with other women, just to show she's hiding her sexuality and what we see here is the real Elin not the fake in front of her friends.
Cheevers4ever
Gold Member

Postby snaps » Wed Aug 01, 2012 10:54 pm

Mmmmm. I think, on reflection, having discussed your ideas with my writing partner, you have work cut out on a few different levels. But that is always part of the craft of writing fanfic, trying to write your way out of being boxed into a corner by the original.

I think the idea of Oskar + Elin is interesting and novel. Maybe you would need to bear in mind that in the film Oskar is what? Nine years old? We know Elin is 14 going on 15. As Markus says to Johan, the difference between himself and Jessica is only one year. The difference between Johan and Elin is three years which makes a lot of difference. I’m not sure at what age/stage you would consider Oskar and Elin get it together, but there is no reason why you couldn’t up-age Oskar to say 12 years old in terms of the film ‘story’ rather than the film itself. I got the impression he is a ‘Mummy’s Boy’ so Karin would be watching him like a hawk if he got anywhere near Elin.

I believe Agnes to be a well-rounded character, with an acid side to her nature (her treatment of Viktoria) which prevents her coming over as mawkishly sentimental. I have no doubt that she is grounded in part, as a projection of Moodysson’s own life experience.

I can’t say the same for Elin, and that is a problem for writing fanfic ‘in canon’. We tend to get lumbered with the shortcomings of the original writer. Elin is a conundrum. Ostensibly she is a bimbo. Her life is governed by negatives. She is bored with: her life, her mother, her sister, her friends, her school, her home-town. Her driving fear is NOT to become like her mother, whose high-point of the week is watching the BingoLotto draw without the money to spare to buy a ticket.

On the other hand, she is not very successful at being an air-head. She knows nothing of drugs, and can’t hold her drink (unless it’s chocolate milk). She knows very little about sex (and no practical experience), certainly knows next to nothing about homosexuality. She doesn’t have a clue how far away Stockholm is, and doesn’t even know on what side of the road to stand to thumb a lift. Her vision is derived from pulp teen magazines like Vecko Revyn. Her tastes are crude (compared with her friends – run the film again and see how they look). Her budget only extends to H&M but even then she chooses inappropriately short skirts, tops a size or two too small, kitsch accessories from Claires, and OTT trainers. Her make-up is badly applied.

In short, she is a clown, albeit a lovable clown. I think that is how Agnes sees her, beautiful to the eye, but probably with even more hang-ups than she has.

I doubt the guys see her as a vixen, more like a must-to-avoid shrew (apart from the clueless Johan)

BUT. I can’t see her as being the putative ringleader of her gaggle of girls. Court jester maybe.

I think the idea of Elin hanging out with a Bosnian guy is ludicrous, or that someone as street-smart as Markus would believe she has been with loads of guys, or that her sister is dumb enough to believe the rumours.

Perhaps I am being unfair to Moodysson. You only have 90 minutes to tell the story, but Elin, I believe is psychologically more complex than Agnes.

Problem is, that lands the fanfic writer with a real headache in terms of development of the character. On the other hand, like I have said before it does offer possibilities. Perhaps Elin is soooo randomly chaotic that she would buck the trend and cradle-snatch Oskar as her toy-boy.

Everything is ludicrously possible in fanfic, but you gain brownie points for making it seem plausible. That is the acid test.

It’s the fun (and headache) of playing God for a while, as you decide what to do with these characters.

Personally, I am far from convinced that Elin could make it as a lipstick lesbian going off to Stockholm at weekends. I think she would be seen as a hick. The Stockholm scene is conceited, garish and unforgiving. Tumbleweed dyke rolled into town. Tits you could land an EC 135 helicopter on, as they laugh behind their stylishly manicured hands.

But there again. As a writer, like God, you have the power of redemption.

Maybe Agnes, or an Agnes-like person intervenes.

Your ideas sound really promising. I have an open mind, I certainly don’t critisize because someone else’s conception doesn’t fall into line with my construals.

I genuinely look forward to your story-telling.

Ima bit busy atm, as my fanpage for my favourite Swedish band is going ballistically good. Fortunately they are not too famous yet. It’s a bit like posting on this site would be if you had direct access to Lex, Bex, and Lux Moodysson.

Will catch up as soon as time allows.

Go for it! :D
snaps
Crew Member

Postby fish » Thu Aug 02, 2012 10:02 am

So many good ideas.
Just because I'm not a writer doesn't mean I'm not a reader.
I can't wait to see what follows. *:)*
Fish
fish
Crew Member

Postby gkmoberg1 » Sun Aug 26, 2012 3:53 pm

hi Cheevers4ever ! Will you be posting more of your story here? I am curious and hopeful you continue to develop this story.
gkmoberg1
Faithfull Member

Postby Cheevers4ever » Tue Aug 28, 2012 5:35 pm

gkmoberg1 wrote:hi Cheevers4ever ! Will you be posting more of your story here? I am curious and hopeful you continue to develop this story.

Hey gkmoberg1 :W

At the time i was writing the synopsis i was all ready to write it but since last few weeks I've begun a new reltionship and with returning to college i haven't had the time to really write it right now. I have a few paragraphs done but thats about it i have a few days off now on Thursday and i might finish off the first chapter. I'm not fully confindent on the story which i'm really stuck on once Agnes gets back to Amal where it should go without feeling like its the same old ending (with her ending up with Elin) for me my take on it is more about Agnes coming to terms with her past, her lost dreams and the small town she grew up in. I promise you i will have it done somewhere in the future.
Cheevers4ever
Gold Member

Postby DMt. » Tue Aug 28, 2012 8:15 pm

Re: the Agnes/Elin/Amal plotline; being friends is worth something too, Cheev.

Happy are those who still have a friend from their youth.
DMt.
Crew Member

Postby gkmoberg1 » Wed Aug 29, 2012 4:36 am

Hey Cheevers4ever, take your time. No need to rush. Rather, please do make time to enjoy the new college year. And the new relationship :)
gkmoberg1
Faithfull Member

Postby Cheevers4ever » Wed Aug 29, 2012 9:08 am

gkmoberg1 wrote:Hey Cheevers4ever, take your time. No need to rush. Rather, please do make time to enjoy the new college year. And the new relationship :)

Thank you :)
Cheevers4ever
Gold Member

Return to Fan-fiction/ Fan art