Do you think Fucking Amal has aged well?

Discuss Lukas Moodysson's first feature film Fucking Åmål (Show me Love).

Moderator: Ian

Do you think Fucking Amal has aged well?

Postby Cheevers4ever » Wed Sep 05, 2012 7:21 pm

I mean of terms of Script, direction. style of camera work, music, acting, Fashion, haircut and other things.

Any parts of the film make you shudder thinking of the fashion or music or whatever?

Juts really be interested to hear from fellow Fucking Amal fans what they think?
Cheevers4ever
Gold Member

Re: Do you think Fucking Amal has aged well?

Postby katka » Wed Sep 05, 2012 10:21 pm

yes, definitely. Ever since I saw the film, I started to be interested about time of 90th years. Precisely how you write. Fashion, music, life style, just all the things about it. That's why the film left me a great touch. Refers to the period of my childhood and school years, quite often I compare it with my life in elementary school. Often I think of what it was, and to my delight I have to agree with the film in many ways, how this time FA shows, illustrated. I like his modesty (as in fashion as in camera). :)
katka
Crew Member

Postby Agnes&Elin Forever! » Wed Sep 05, 2012 10:30 pm

Moodysson's directing and camera work doesn't have much to do with the 90s per se though.

But the clothing, and some of the music, and so on are typical of the 90s of course.

Nothing about FÅ makes me shudder, but it's fun to notice stuff like Elins "Spice Girls style" platform shoes. :lol:
Agnes&Elin Forever!
Crew Member

Postby katka » Wed Sep 05, 2012 11:02 pm

but it's in some descriptions of film...is reported that there is a few things of Dogme 95. Overall, I think it reflects the spirit of the time very well. 8)
katka
Crew Member

Postby Agnes&Elin Forever! » Wed Sep 05, 2012 11:24 pm

Maybe you can find traces of Dogme 95 in Fucking Åmål, but some of Moodysson's style you can actually see in older genre films, italian and others.

Like the quick and long zooming he frequently uses for example.

Many people probably don't know this.
Agnes&Elin Forever!
Crew Member

Postby fish » Thu Sep 06, 2012 8:59 am

I didn't know that. :shock: :P :lol:

Technology has zoomed along for mobile phones and computers.
Clothes and hairstyles have changed with the fashions of today.

The things that remain the same are the love of great storytelling and of great acting.
Fucking Åmål has these in abundance and is as wonderful a film today as it was when first released. *:)* *:)*
Fish
fish
Crew Member

Postby Dahls » Thu Sep 06, 2012 1:38 pm

Some people might call it outdated, with all the pop-references of its time, 90s style of clothing/speaking ecc, but I'll rather call it nostalgic. 8)

Like Fishy said, the story and the theme of the film, combined with great acting/directing, will always remain timeless, and so will the film itself.
A modern classic :)
Dahls
Crew Member

Postby Cheevers4ever » Thu Sep 06, 2012 1:50 pm

Agnes&Elin Forever! wrote:Moodysson's directing and camera work doesn't have much to do with the 90s per se though.

But the clothing, and some of the music, and so on are typical of the 90s of course.

Nothing about FÅ makes me shudder, but it's fun to notice stuff like Elins "Spice Girls style" platform shoes. :lol:

Well it does AandE forever the Dogme style camerwork started and is rooted in the 90's but i do think some of the clothing and music is very 90's plus the mobile phones and guys haircuts are very mid to late 90s, trust me i had some :D. I only shudder when some of the dance music comes on nothing to do with the acting, script just it really does suck and ages the film a bit.
Cheevers4ever
Gold Member

Postby Cheevers4ever » Thu Sep 06, 2012 1:54 pm

fish wrote:I didn't know that. :shock: :P :lol:

Technology has zoomed along for mobile phones and computers.
Clothes and hairstyles have changed with the fashions of today.

The things that remain the same are the love of great storytelling and of great acting.
Fucking Åmål has these in abundance and is as wonderful a film today as it was when first released. *:)* *:)*

Oh i agree fish the film is perfect in terms of story telling and Acting but some of the fashion and music hasn't aged it to well. No ones fault really cause the filmmakers and clothing staff had to be loyal to what teenagers were wearing and listening. Broder Daniel is still amazing and is the best music fromt he film. But the film is still amazing but Moodysson's follow up Together has aged better even though it was set in the 70's :D
Cheevers4ever
Gold Member

Postby Cheevers4ever » Thu Sep 06, 2012 1:55 pm

Dahls wrote:Some people might call it outdated, with all the pop-references of its time, 90s style of clothing/speaking ecc, but I'll rather call it nostalgic. 8)

Like Fishy said, the story and the theme of the film, combined with great acting/directing, will always remain timeless, and so will the film itself.
A modern classic :)

Good word Dahl Nostalgic would have been a better term really :).
Cheevers4ever
Gold Member

Postby Ian » Mon Sep 17, 2012 10:42 am

I think it's aged beautifully. Mind you, I don't even notice things like fashion or whatever, it's all so much blah to me. It's timeless in the best sense. :D
Ian
Webmaster

Postby Cheevers4ever » Sat Dec 08, 2012 10:10 pm

Ian wrote:I think it's aged beautifully. Mind you, I don't even notice things like fashion or whatever, it's all so much blah to me. It's timeless in the best sense. :D

You see i grew up around that time (i was 16/17 when the film was released) in Dublin, we were wearing the same clothes, same haircuts and doing the same boring things as in the film :D . It bought things rushing back to me when watching the film now. Its why i made this thread as i taught some things (nothing with the acting, direcion etc..) but clothes andmusic kind of aged it a little (apart from Border Daniel's music). Not a bad thing really. But i agree its timeless but once you get older it get's sort of sadder too with each viewing . You start to miss those days of hanging out at house parties getting drunk when you were 16 :(
Cheevers4ever
Gold Member

Postby fish » Sun Dec 09, 2012 5:31 am

Cheevers4ever wrote:... You start to miss those days of hanging out at house parties getting drunk when you were 16 :(

I didn't know those times ever ended. :shock: :P :lol:

*:)*
Fish
fish
Crew Member

Postby Ian » Sun Dec 09, 2012 9:57 am

I didn't know they existed. :lol:

Do you know what's funny? I saw Perks at the cinema last week and it never occurred to me until the following day that it was supposed to be set in the early 90s (apparently that makes it a "period piece" now :shock: :evil: :evil: ). I mean, it's blatantly obvious when you think about it with the lack of cell phones, internet and talk of "mix tapes" and so forth yet it honestly never even occurred to me while I was watching it. Perhaps that era is just defacto normal for me! :lol:
Ian
Webmaster

Postby Cheevers4ever » Thu Dec 13, 2012 1:18 am

fish wrote:
Cheevers4ever wrote:... You start to miss those days of hanging out at house parties getting drunk when you were 16 :(

I didn't know those times ever ended. :shock: :P :lol:

*:)*

:P

It's not the same when you can buy drink and look silly when you get drunk instead of looking cool when you were 16 in front of girls :D
Cheevers4ever
Gold Member

Next

Return to Fucking Åmål (Show Me Love)