Links to 'I Can't Help Laughing'

Post fan-fiction and fan art here!

Moderators: Ian, snaps

Forum rules
Please respect copyright laws.

Links to 'I Can't Help Laughing'

Postby DMt. » Fri Feb 24, 2012 12:52 am

I wrote a short FanFic after seeing FA/SML...it's in a thread here called, um, 'I Can't Help Laughing, Because...' but if you'd rather read it without the comments, here's a link to a .pdf download;

http://oebfa.com/index.php?lang_id=en&page_id=82

and here's the original thread in what it was wrote, all live and tingly;

http://fucking-amal.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=1706

Hope you enjoy it.

DMt.
"To learn who rules over you, simply find out who you are not allowed to criticize" - Voltaire
DMt.
Crew Member

Re: Links to 'I Can't Help Laughing'

Postby Ian » Fri Feb 24, 2012 10:19 am

Cool. I've started collecting fan-fic of late. I keep telling myself that eventually I'll try to make proper books out of them for my own personal gratification.

Only one problem - I don't know how. *:|* :P
Ian
Webmaster

Postby fish » Fri Feb 24, 2012 11:14 am

I came back to read the story.

So much seems to have been developed since I last read it that I had to read it all.
The story itself is just like a slice of real life, and your style of writing is so easy to read, I loved every moment of it

Thanks for bringing Agnes and Elin back to life again. *:)* *:)*

What of their future?
How does this part of their lives fit in with other pre-existing fan-fics, or have you built a rod for your own back by now having to tell the rest of their story right up to the present day? :P :lol:
Fish
fish
Crew Member

Postby gkmoberg1 » Sun Aug 26, 2012 3:33 pm

I read the PDF several months ago and did not know it was written here "live" on a thread. This is very exciting! I am reading the thread, getting to see how this story first came into existance. *joy*
gkmoberg1
Faithfull Member

Postby DMt. » Sun Aug 26, 2012 3:45 pm

*blushes furiously* :oops: :lol:
"To learn who rules over you, simply find out who you are not allowed to criticize" - Voltaire
DMt.
Crew Member

Postby gkmoberg1 » Wed Aug 29, 2012 4:37 am

good. you should! ( 'cause it IS that good )
gkmoberg1
Faithfull Member

Postby kant1781 » Mon Dec 10, 2012 12:19 am

I have just started reading this, DMt - or Dave - and although I'm only on page 7 of 25 (and I'll leave it at that for today in order to have something to look forward to tomorrow), I really want you to know that I love it! This is beautifully, even masterfully written. It belongs up there with Kolya's and Marta's stuff, which for me is the benchmark. In one respect you're even better than them: you got the humour right. Great stuff! :D
kant1781
Crew Member

Postby DMt. » Mon Dec 10, 2012 2:25 am

I'm so glad you're enjoying it, K; thanks very much for the kind words.

I hope your essay will find its way here soon!
DMt.
Crew Member

Postby kant1781 » Tue Dec 11, 2012 1:03 am

DMt. wrote:I hope your essay will find its way here soon!

Yeah, that would be nice. There must be a technical solution. (Do you know the text or had it already disappeared when you turned up? In this case, just pm me if you'd like to have it.)

I took your text to p. 15 today, but again I stopped in order to have something left for tomorrow. I'll be back with some commentary. Still love it to bits and pieces.
kant1781
Crew Member

Postby Dahls » Tue Dec 11, 2012 10:31 pm

I never really complemented you on 'I Can't Help Laughing', Dave (Dmt.).
Read it a short while after joining the forum 6 months ago, and like all the others, thought it was very good indeed! ^O^
Dahls
Crew Member

Postby kant1781 » Wed Dec 12, 2012 12:53 am

Done. (Twice.) This is really an outstanding piece of work, and I can only join into the chorus of praise. The scenes between the girls are perfectly true to the spirit and to the characters. Especially the first one and the one with them leaning against the sofa are breathtaking. I very much appreciate your take on Jessica. The idea of focussing on Camilla (of all people) is brillant and the execution very convincing indeed (not least because it fits perfectly with what's in the film, again). I only have the tiniest reservation concerning the way in which the whole gang gathers behind Elin and Agnes so quickly. I personally feel that you're letting them get away too easily at that point. Wish I was wrong. But from what I know about even today's (let alone mid-nineties) kids' attitudes to such things as openly gay couples in their midst, this happens way too smoothly, at the price of giving up realism. Anyway, I can see that the story had to be brought to an end, and what a beautiful ending it is, especially for an ageing romantic like me. :oops: Hats off to you! _O_
kant1781
Crew Member

Postby DMt. » Wed Dec 12, 2012 2:31 am

K17 wrote:I only have the tiniest reservation concerning the way in which the whole gang gathers behind Elin and Agnes so quickly. I personally feel that you're letting them get away too easily at that point. Wish I was wrong. But from what I know about even today's (let alone mid-nineties) kids' attitudes to such things as openly gay couples in their midst, this happens way too smoothly, at the price of giving up realism

I plead guilty :mrgreen:

The notion that Malin could, with a few phonecalls, rally a consensus against the full weight of collective homophobic prejudice does seem a little flimsy when looked at close up...but I was riding on a big pink cloud, at the time, in a blue sky full of rainbows and angels; and it looked quite credible, then :Y

Thank you all for your lovely compliments.
DMt.
Crew Member

Postby DMt. » Thu Dec 13, 2012 10:16 pm

kant1781 wrote:
DMt. wrote:I hope your essay will find its way here soon!

Yeah, that would be nice. There must be a technical solution. (Do you know the text or had it already disappeared when you turned up? In this case, just pm me if you'd like to have it.)

Oh yes, please. Fish pointed us all to it fairly recently; I did read it, but a reference copy would be very good.
DMt.
Crew Member

Postby kant1781 » Mon Jan 14, 2013 7:08 pm

I just re-read "I Can't Help Laughing", being taken with ever more lovely details. Too much sesame oil, eh? :wink: The man surely knows the literature. 8)
kant1781
Crew Member

Postby DMt. » Mon Jan 14, 2013 8:32 pm

Gosh, K! Too kind... :oops:

Yes, the sesame-oil thing is from a remark of Rebecka's in an interview...adds a bit of, uh, verisimilitude 8)
DMt.
Crew Member

Next

Return to Fan-fiction/ Fan art