Les Revenants S1&2

Moderator: Ian

Re: Les Revenants S1&2

Postby DMt. » Tue Oct 06, 2015 11:20 pm

Damn!! The L Chat grrrls are ALREADY WATCHING Les Revs S2, on some kind of pirate site [that Virgin won't let me access :oops: ], and freaking out about it!

Look, don't even go there, it's full of spoilers... :twisted:

[R/click, 'View Image' ]
"To learn who rules over you, simply find out who you are not allowed to criticize" - Voltaire
DMt.
Crew Member

Postby DMt. » Tue Oct 06, 2015 11:52 pm

L Chat Guest quite correctly wrote:
I really loved Celine's performance in the first season. I'm sure I'll enjoy it in this one too, but we haven't seen much of her yet. She has that wonderful ability to express several different emotions in just one moment of silence. I don't remember which scene, but when I re-watched the old episodes the other day, I was really touched by how she displayed such a complex progression of responses to Victor: confusion, worry, hope, tenderness ... all in a single two-second shot. The emotions just take over her face, like when you watch Meryl Streep do a scene in which she has no dialogue and she manages to tell you a whole story without barely moving. I love actors who can convey so many different, seemingly conflicting emotions with just their expressions. And Celine doesn't overdo it, as though each emotion were consciously planned. She simply experiences them and the camera is there to capture it all.

This, in spades.

It's also why I like l'Acquart G so much...that kind of silent expressiveness must be near the peak of an actor's skill.
"To learn who rules over you, simply find out who you are not allowed to criticize" - Voltaire
DMt.
Crew Member

Postby fish » Wed Oct 07, 2015 7:29 am

DMt. wrote:...silent expressiveness...

Good description. :Y

I want to enjoy it all when it's shown here so I'll stay away from LChat I think.

And, there's just something about Victor that I like. :evil: :lol:
Fish
fish
Crew Member

Postby DMt. » Wed Oct 07, 2015 10:01 am

Victor/Julie is one of the best story arcs...could be a teensy bit awkward there, his Mum coming back and all :shock:
DMt.
Crew Member

Postby fish » Thu Oct 08, 2015 8:10 am

DMt. wrote:...his Mum coming back and all :shock:

She must be over 100 years ol..........

Oh!
Don't tell me any more. Image
Fish
fish
Crew Member

Postby DMt. » Thu Oct 08, 2015 12:47 pm

Er...that's her in the pic I posted.

Soh-reeee!! :oops:
DMt.
Crew Member

Postby Dahls » Sat Oct 10, 2015 12:19 am

Can't wait. :D
The reruns is midway through season one over here around now.
Without subs, which is a bit strange. :?
Dahls
Crew Member

Postby Owen » Sat Oct 10, 2015 2:05 pm

I am quite interested in this series, but I missed it when it was popular. I've seen the original movie (and used to own it), and it was very strange, but explored an interesting premise from a non-standard point of view.
Could you tell me if it's very related to the movie or just by the premise? Because I've read that there were mysteries around, and I like mysteries. But I want them resolved. I've been a big fan of Lost back in the days of the first 3 or 4 seasons, but it went nowhere good, and undermined my confidence in series in general. There are always the same tricks to keep people interested: promises, missing pieces, characters that we don't know will die or not. And there's the danger: the fucking american production system that concieves series based on an obsolete rating system, and the everlasting ambition of writers. They always want series planned (or NOT planned and improvised all along) over x seasons. They rarely create closed stories. And I hate that.
So, I will watch les Revenants only if the story is complete and offers some closure (good closure, contrary to Lost for example).

Yes, it is a French production, but I rant about the american system because Canal+ is inspired by it. And the ratings will decide if it continues or not.
Owen
Gold Member

Postby DMt. » Sat Oct 10, 2015 8:18 pm

Well, S1 was left VERY unresolved...I never watched Lost, because I almost never watch TV anyway [and especially US TV], but what might well have pissed me off in that, I could forgive in Les Revs because it was so engaging, and the atmosphere so well sustained.

S2 was apparently so long in coming because of 'problems with the writing', [I wonder if Sciamma was unavailable this time?] but presumably these have been resolved. The L Chat grrls report that it is much darker than S1, and speculate that this was because of the difficulties and pressures. I don't know about this, or how much it resembles the original film; but I do know I really want to see it, and that going by S1, resolution is not all that critical to my enjoyment of it.
DMt.
Crew Member

Postby Owen » Sun Oct 11, 2015 9:52 pm

Ok, therefore I will wait. I have other things to watch anyway.
I quite liked US TV before, but now it seems a bland stream of uninspired, overworked productions. I can't stand promotional posters, I can't stand the photoshopped actors, the always young and good-looking protagonists, the CG backgrounds, CG blood, showing fashionable sex and violence (GoT, Hannibal, I am looking at you), being cancelled for reasons others than creativity.

Here in France the general view is that season 2 was so long to come because of the French system (which needs to catch up with productivity of the US writers etc.). I think it has some truth to it, because whatever problems they had, it's not like in the States they never have problems, but they at least always deliver. Three years is way too long for a 10 episodes season.

DMt. wrote:resolution is not all that critical to my enjoyment of it

For me neither, but now I am not beginning new (or old) series without knowing if it has a decent end or not.
Owen
Gold Member

Postby fish » Mon Oct 12, 2015 7:02 am

DMt. wrote:...but I do know I really want to see it...

Same here.
Such good characters and I thought there were excellent storylines merging into the overall story. ^O^
Fish
fish
Crew Member

Postby Ian » Mon Oct 12, 2015 10:16 am

Owen wrote:Ok, therefore I will wait. I have other things to watch anyway.
I quite liked US TV before, but now it seems a bland stream of uninspired, overworked productions. I can't stand promotional posters, I can't stand the photoshopped actors, the always young and good-looking protagonists, the CG backgrounds, CG blood, showing fashionable sex and violence (GoT, Hannibal, I am looking at you), being cancelled for reasons others than creativity.

Yes, American TV was (generally) fantastic in the 90s-early 00s but has steadily gone downhill to the point where there is almost nothing of any interest left now. All the new ones look identikit too. The only reason I watch The Blacklist really is because of the general awesomeness that is James Spader. :P

Mind you, X Files and Twin Peaks are coming back so, sad as it is in a way that they have to bring back 90s shows to make anything exciting and interesting, at least all isn't lost. :wink:
Ian
Webmaster

Postby Owen » Sat Oct 17, 2015 12:19 pm

I agree with you, Ian, and I think there are still things left to discuss in the "Generational changes" topic :)

Mind you, X Files and Twin Peaks are coming back so, sad as it is in a way that they have to bring back 90s shows to make anything exciting and interesting, at least all isn't lost. :wink:

They are, back, but how will they turn out? I am a huge X-Files fan, but from what I've seen it will be "modernised", and I suspect that mythology will be retconned and/or ignored. There will be no Robert Patrick ( :cry: ). And all the world will hear will be shippers whining about Mulder/Scully not being together anymore :roll: .

Never had the occasion to see Twin Peaks. Maybe there will they respect more the original show (which was, I heard, very special).
Owen
Gold Member

Postby Dahls » Fri Nov 06, 2015 3:13 am

If you don't like series being unresolved, you should stay clear of Twin Peaks I'd say. :wink:
(Might be the new season will change that though)

Saw the first episode of Les Revenants a few days ago.
It really surprised me that the show is airing simultaneously here as in France, and not like 6 months later.
It's free to stream on NRK's webpage, but only with norwegian subtitles I'm afraid.
The quality hasn't dropped a bit, I'm looking forward to the continuing. :)
Dahls
Crew Member

Postby fish » Fri Nov 06, 2015 7:29 am

Dahls wrote:...and not like 6 months later...

I don't think they've even started thinking about it in Oz. :(
Fish
fish
Crew Member

PreviousNext

Return to Entertainment