Pauline Acquart - Retenez Son Nom

Moderator: Ian

Re: Pauline Acquart - Retenez Son Nom

Postby Owen » Tue Mar 15, 2016 1:16 am

Finally, having overcome my laziness, I post this account for fellow fans or silent lurkers.

I had the chance of meeting Pauline Acquart at the final representation of Andreas.

After being somewhat disappointed on the festival d'Avignon, partially because I had to face there adversities such as the crowd, the heat, mosquitos, fatigue, I decided to give it another try, in better circumstances. Also I kind of hoped that maybe the cast would come out to talk with the spectators after the play, as they use to. Also, since the play itself left me confused, but interested, I wanted to try again, see if I could understand more of it, and maybe even like it. So I invited a friend and we went, on a Saturday for 7:30PM.

I won't go into the description of the play again. See my review here (I since revised some of my opinions, especially on the "not wanting to learn more" part): viewtopic.php?f=40&t=1708&start=2902 (and following posts)

This time we were seated at the right close to the stage, so we could observe all the actors' faces. Overall, it was much clearer and more agreeable, because I knew what was coming next and how it could be related. The story is still quite obtuse but I didn’t feel lost nor drowned. The pacing was more bearable, surprisingly I wasn't bored like the first time, but I didn't feel rushed too and too eager to see Acquart (I kept in mind that hers was a secondary role). The mood was dark, the actors performed gravely.

I paid more attention to Acquart’s first role to try to discover why the hell she doesn't talk half of the time. She plays the doctor's daughter, who tells her father that she doesn't like that the Stranger (aka Andreas, the main character) is coming in their house. But the conversation is cut short when the Stranger and doctor's wife arrive. After that, Acquart just sits on a bench, silent. It intrigued me the first time. Now I noted that her character has ascendancy over her father, because at one point she stands up and leaves, and the father quickly throws in an excuse to leave too. But I didn't come up with a satisfying answer.

I was pleased to see her still barefoot in her second role, that of a nun of a charity hospital, who recites curses from the Deuteronomy (not from the Exodus, as I said in the review) to Andreas. It was also cool that Pierre Baux got to smoke his cigar on stage, althought it wasn’t outdoors like le cloître des Célestins. Given actual anti-smoking propaganda and the evertightening regulations, it felt almost subversive.

When the play was over, we went to the hall, and waited there, since the guard told us that the actors would come. The crowd quickly decreased. Not a long time after, Châtel came out, and after phoning outside he went to the bar. We approached him and had a little chat when he was available (he talked to someone else before that).

I kind of half praised him for the play and told him that I went twice being an Acquart' fan. Then we talked a little about her roles. He said that the doctor's daughter had a strong parallel with the Stranger's story, because he abandoned his own wife and daughter to wander. Châtel saw this Acquart's role as one of the keystones of the play. It was weird, since she isn't much present and there are much stronger themes, but I won't dispute his vision, I guess he made much more connections than me. He also told, speaking highly of her, that he met Pauline when he was coming out of a theatre in Paris, and, since he had seen Naissance des pieuvres and was impressed with her, he proposed her a part in Andreas.Originally, the nun (her seconde role) was an old priest, but having Acquart, it seemed more appropriate to let her do it, because putting a young girl in that heavy and ominous role added to the impact.

We talked some more, about whether he was going to publish his rewritten version of Strindberg's play (maybe, he replied), if this was his first play (no, the second one), if stage director was a decently paid profession (he implied that it was not, his main profession if teaching dramatic technique at Bruxelles' university). Then we parted ways and went to lean against a wall again, waiting.

Finally, and after Nathalie Richard and Pierre Baux came out, Pauline appeared, accompanied by a guy (Enzo Giacomazzy, assistant to the director) and Thierry Raynaud. After smoking outside, they went to the bar, and stood close to us, turning their backs and talking joyfully. Just at the moment when I was deep in reflection about how I could adress her, she turned to us herself and asked if we were here for the play. I replied that of course we were.

She was handed a Heineken can and opening it sprinkled over everybody, and my vest (I was close). She was confounded and said sorry. I don’t really remember what I said, this was told me afterwards by my friend.

I told her what I thought of the play. But I added about some reserves I had about it. She said that the heaviness of the play was varying between representations, and that for exemple the day before they performed more lightly and that the public was more reactive, and that today the public was more absorbed. She added that, perhaps because of the fact that this representation was the final one, they accentuated the seriousness and tragedy of the story.

I asked her about her nearly silent role. She told that it frankly wasn't that interesting, that there was nothing to do except look at her hands or the actors'. When I told that for Châtel it seemed pretty important, she was amused.

(I don’t know when exactly it was, but there was Thierry Raynaud running in the hall pretending to be a seagull. «Look, I’m a seagull, I’m a seagull!» he yelled. He even broke into our circle for a second. This I don’t remember, my friend told me afterwards. I guess my mind was away, and even though I looked at him, I didn’t see.)

I told that I went to the play twice, here and in Avignon, at the beginning of the festival. She said that it was awful, because she was very nervous and tense before coming on the stage, and asked me why I returned this time. I told that I was a fan; she seemed surprised and flattered. When I added having seen other things beside Water Lilies, it surprised her even more (it was pleasing to see her reactions on her labile face). We (I and my friend and then Pauline) talked about our studies. Hers aren't finished now, she started twice but interrupted each time, because she obtained a role. So for now it was in stand by. She would continue acting as long as she has roles. And if not, she added jokingly (or at least I hope so), she would reconvert to assistant like Enzo.

My friend asked Enzo about what was exactly his job. He told us that he must take notes on what the director says, because very often he forgets or repeats but differently. And even if the play appeared to be square and very calculated, it was more because of the repetition than because of the strict and structured director's vision.

We talked some more about Strindberg’s plays and the prices of the books. Then Pauline returned to the fact that I said being a fan (it must've struck her :roll: :lol: ), and asked us if we had done much road to come see her. We replied no, and that maybe 2 hours of road would be too much of a price. We laughed.

But the chat was almost over, because the cast was gathering to go eat, and she was called. But before she left, I asked her about her role in Jamais contente. She said that she plays the protagonist's older sister, but that she doesn't know how much of her has been kept, since she hasn't seen the movie yet. I told her that I shall gladly see it anyways.
Then we kissed (not the kiss kiss, nor the french kiss of course :roll: , but only la bise! :lol: ) goodbye.

It was a very pleasant experience, she was great and open and forthcoming. Very alive and nice. I never hoped it would go so well, or that I would chat with her for that long. And I cannot describe accurately her speech or mimics, she has a very expressive and labile face, but that added to the pleasure of meeting her. She laughed often, and seemed to be interested in who we were too; it was very pleasing.
As final words, I would also add that for me it was a kind of liberation too. I dreamt, yes, but never thought that it would happen, nor that I wouldn't fail in establishing a good conversation. I thought that I would be too shy. But surprisingly I wasn't, and it helped me realise that the obstacles weren't so impossible to cross that I imagined before. I became more confident as a result.
Owen
Gold Member

Postby Owen » Tue Mar 15, 2016 1:20 am

fish wrote:OK. I've now run out of new stuff. *:|*
Hopefully I'll hear about "Dans la Chambre" soon, and there'll be more news of "Los Feliz", "La bande à Juliette", "Jamais Contente", etc., etc. :T

Until then I'll leave you with the lovely Mlle. Acquart grilling Papa in "le Chant des Sirènes". :W

I'm glad that it reached its goal! *:)* And that you participated in making it possible. (And I hope this short will be available in some way one day.)

You also remind me that I haven't yet seen Le chant des sirènes. I will very soon.
Owen
Gold Member

Postby fish » Tue Mar 15, 2016 8:22 am

Owen wrote:...she was great and open and forthcoming...

Beautiful Owen.
I'm glad it w*rked out so well and that Pauline was such a lovely person.
Yes, I wish it had been me, but thank you for giving us the next best thing. *:)*

Lucky Owen wrote:...When I added having seen other things beside Water Lilies, it surprised her even more...

I'm surprised that NdP seems to be such an "elephant in the room" when she looks at her career.
I wish another major starring role would come along for her.
Maybe then she'd see she was more than just "Marie".

I'd buy the phone. :Y ^O^ :lol:

Fish
fish
Crew Member

Postby DMt. » Tue Mar 15, 2016 11:27 am

Great stuff, Owen, thank you. I'm almost over the envy now... O-)

Seriously though, I'm happy for you, and that Acquart was so nice [as I always thought she would be].

Perhaps Los Feliz will update her profile in the public's awareness; it's tiresome wading through millions of 'Marie' pics of her at 15, as I'm sure Fishy will attest!

Did you mention this forum thread, by the way? I hardly see how she could not know about it, but still... 8)
"To learn who rules over you, simply find out who you are not allowed to criticize" - Voltaire
DMt.
Crew Member

Postby fish » Wed Mar 16, 2016 6:41 am

DMt. wrote:...I'm sure Fishy will attest!..

Wouldn't mind so much if there was anything new coming to light. :T

The morning after Andreas....thinks to self.... "OMG. Did I really say that to Owen?" :shock: :oops: :P :lol:

Fish
fish
Crew Member

Postby fish » Fri Mar 18, 2016 8:58 am

From the set of "La Bande à Juliette", taken by Fanny Lamblin.

Fish
fish
Crew Member

Postby Owen » Sat Mar 19, 2016 1:06 pm

I could meet her only thanks to all of you! *:)*

DMt. wrote:Did you mention this forum thread, by the way? I hardly see how she could not know about it, but still... 8)

No, I thought of it but I didn't. I don't know how she would react to the presence of such a number of her pictures. It could go well, but I could also not only take the flak but trouble this thread's balance. I consider this a somewhat serious issue to be announced casually. I don't think that she is aware of the thread (nor that she is the type of person who skims through forums).

(I've seen Bande de fille finally, maybe I'll post something about it. It touched me more than Tomboy but of course less than NdP. I think that specially the writing is weaker, and it reveals a kind of pattern to which Sciamma likes to stick. On the other hand, photography, direction and acting are gorgeous and fascinating, with strong images that remain.)
Owen
Gold Member

Postby DMt. » Sat Mar 19, 2016 11:45 pm

Sciamma speaks of the three films as a trilogy, so perhaps the parallel or common themes are excusable...I like your delicacy, Owen, in considering, then discarding, the notion of asking PAB about the thread. I think you were right, it might well have skewed the vibe a bit.

I might easily have just blurted it out, in such a situation... "Hey, did you know your fan thread on FA is over 160,000 views?" :lol:
"To learn who rules over you, simply find out who you are not allowed to criticize" - Voltaire
DMt.
Crew Member

Postby fish » Sun Mar 20, 2016 9:07 am

DMt. wrote:...over 160,000 views?.. :lol:

166,000+ now. :shock:
I wonder how much longer we can keep it a secret. :roll: :lol:

Pauline: "He thinks I haven't noticed, but this must be a record for Fish.
He's posted pics of Bex, Alex and me that no-one on the forum has ever seen before.
Three in one day FFS. :shock:
Too much for me, I'm hiding." :oops: :W

Fish
fish
Crew Member

Postby fish » Mon Mar 21, 2016 6:48 am

Too hot to hide in Thailand. *:)*
(What are those elephants doing? :shock: :lol: )

Fish
fish
Crew Member

Postby DMt. » Mon Mar 21, 2016 4:04 pm

Hungover Acquart in a very hot country: "Uuuurgh, never again...never again...red wine and Sambucca...never again!"

And what are those elephants up to? Get a room!
DMt.
Crew Member

Postby fish » Tue Mar 22, 2016 7:33 am

DMt. wrote:...Get a room!

Chance'd be a fine thing. :roll: :lol:

Absolutely the best "tourism" pic ever.
The Thai gov't should buy it for sure.

Beautiful relaxation.Image

And a crop of the same one 'cause it was a biggie. *:)*

Fish
fish
Crew Member

Postby DMt. » Tue Mar 22, 2016 12:34 pm

Nice work, Fish!

Getting in and out of there must have been...interesting :? ...but it does look very peaceful.
DMt.
Crew Member

Postby fish » Wed Mar 23, 2016 7:09 am

DMt. wrote:...interesting :? ...

Yes.

That's the word. :)P :P :lol:

Fish
fish
Crew Member

Postby fish » Thu Mar 24, 2016 7:42 am

This is the last SE Asia pic I have. *:|*

I'll keep my eye out for any more but just now I think I'll go and join someone for a lovely drink of tea. *:)* :lol:

Fish
fish
Crew Member

PreviousNext

Return to Entertainment