Adèle Haenel

Moderator: Ian

Re: Adèle Haenel

Postby Owen » Mon Jan 16, 2017 4:02 am

snaps wrote:The Unknown Girl

I've seen it in october, in the theater. Really good low-key drama, with elements of detective story. Not joyful though, not at all, it's very gloomy, with lots of grey atmosphere, grey buildings, grey water, grey everything, even performances. And I'm saying that as a compliment, because it seems to have taken much hard work to get it to this state. Besides, as a morality statement, this movie appeals to me.
Adèle is very good in her role, and I like how the direction treats her. Total opposite of what she played in Water Lilies for instance.

Now that I think of it, the greyness of everything reminds me of Per Wahlöö's two novellas about commissionner Jensen.
Owen
Gold Member

Postby snaps » Fri Apr 28, 2017 1:10 am

THE UNKNOWN GIRL

I agree with what Owen and others have said. Bought the DVD slashed in price at HMV. It IS very low key - and very much in the Francophone tradition of film-making. The 'Sight & Sound' review did say 'Adele Haenal is mesmerising'. This is very true. Downside is that there is not one other strong character for her to play against - just a host of minor characters and conflict with every one of them. It is engaging as a medical 'whodunnit' and Adele is centre-stage (enough reason to watch it anyway :) ) A young doctor who makes an understandable error of judgment, and then atones by turning detective over a death of an anonymous immigrant that everyone else is more than happy to forget about. It is a tour-de-force for Adele as she is playing almost the total flipside of her amoral manipulative role in Naissance des Pieuvres. It would have been good if she had a strong female companion to play against - a sort of 'flipside' Marie if you can imagine such a thing. Anyway - one worth seeing as Adele matures as an actor. The relentless concrete drabness and thundering traffic noise of Liege in Belgium provides the perfect backdrop for Adele to shine through like a flower growing in a crack in the pavement - physically, intellectually and morally beautiful in an asshole anonymous corner of 'modern' Europe.
snaps
Crew Member

Postby fish » Fri Apr 28, 2017 9:02 am

So much out in the public eye with her career, and so many good substantial roles too. *:)*

I must confess I quite fancy "Orpheline", but maybe that's just the thought of the two Adèles being together. :oops: :P :lol:

Fish
fish
Crew Member

Postby snaps » Thu Mar 29, 2018 9:07 am

OK, today we are rehearsing the shower snogging scene but unfortunately (coughs) Francois can't make it today (sighs) O-) So I guess I'll just have to stand in for him while you practice :) *:)* :evil:
snaps
Crew Member

Postby fish » Fri Mar 30, 2018 4:31 am

snaps wrote:...unfortunately (coughs) Francois can't make it today (sighs)...

Oh dear, what a shame, how sad. :roll: *:)*

So who swept the cutting room floor the morning after?
That's all I want to know.
Oh, and are they into corruption? *:)* :lol:

Fish
fish
Crew Member

Postby snaps » Wed May 22, 2019 8:35 pm

Adèle Haenel back at Cannes Film Festival: this time in triplicate!!!

ENCOUNTER Adèle Haenel confided in "20 Minutes" while defending three films in Cannes and presented "Le Suede" by Quentin Dupieux at the opening of the Directors' Fortnight

Adèle Haenel is not one to chew her words and she proves it against Jean Dujardin in Quentin Dupieux's Le Suede, which opens the Directors' Fortnight. The film is defended at the Cannes Film Festival, before going out in theaters on June 19th. Adèle Haenel plays a waitress dreaming of becoming a film editor in a delirium of fascination for a jacket. "The madness of Quentin Dupieux amuses me, says Adele Haenel at 20 Minutes . But I reworked my character to fit my feminist ideas. Snuggle women stuck between cooking and seduction. Gradually, her character is needed to become as crazy as the hero.

Never two without three
On the Croisette this year, the young woman is not at the end of her troubles because she presents two other films: Portrait of the girl on fire Céline Sciamma in competition and The heroes never die from Aude Léa Rapin (Critics' Week). "These are films that register differently in their funding and their position in the film landscape," says the actress. These three films testify to the versatility of the actress who loves new experiences while remaining faithful to Céline Sciamma who had directed her in Birth of Octopuses . " Portrait of the girl on fire testifies to the richness of our collaboration, insists Adele Haenel. But I also like to multiply the experiences, the styles and the ways of working. "

Cannes, this place of debate
Passionate about her job, Adèle Haenel carefully selects her projects. "I like the idea of ​​fighting clichés about women," says the actress. It is certain that this notion influences my choices. The Cannes Film Festival is a particularly dear place to her heart. "The filmmaking it generates is not just about movies, but also the passion of the debate of ideas," she says.
snaps
Crew Member

Postby fish » Thu May 23, 2019 8:31 am

Hey Snapsie :W

snaps wrote:...Portrait of the girl on fire...

I've read nice things about this film as "Portrait of a Lady on Fire" https://variety.com/2019/film/reviews/portrait-of-a-lady-on-fire-review-1203220399/
I guess the translation sometimes throws up irregularities.
Hope I get the chance to see it.

Also great that Adèle and Céline are still together. 8)

Red carpet at Cannes 2019.

Fish
fish
Crew Member

Postby Owen » Thu May 30, 2019 10:00 pm

snaps wrote:Adèle Haenel back at Cannes Film Festival: this time in triplicate!!!

I should've become fan of her instead of Acquart :T :roll: :lol: .

Thanks for the tip, eager for a new Sciamma. I will seek it, maybe even in theater.
Last edited by Owen on Fri May 31, 2019 2:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Owen
Gold Member

Postby fish » Fri May 31, 2019 5:17 am

Owen wrote:...I should've become...

Yes. I guess she has a much higher public profile.

One day perhaps, sigh! :P *:)*

Fish
fish
Crew Member

Postby fish » Sun Sep 22, 2019 12:51 am

By all reports "Portrait de la jeune fille en feu" ("Portrait of a Lady on Fire") is something very special.

The media release PDF file is a good read. https://cdn-media.festival-cannes.com/film_film/0001/68/a5cf51df5b91e7699f7f9f95a73623975dd9f1df.pdf
Just released in various places around the world.

Excellent interview with the director and with the stars at Cannes, on Vimeo. https://vimeo.com/340084687

What little I've seen tells me it would be best in a theatre, but I can't wait for the DVD. *:)*

And lovely to see "you know who" and "what's her face" together again. Image

Fish
fish
Crew Member

Postby Owen » Sat Oct 05, 2019 1:50 am

Thanks, fish.
The more I think about it, the more I am reluctant to go see it. This just doesn't appeal to me. Maybe it's because of the radical change between previous Sciamma's films (urban, modern setting, electro music, vivid colors and geometry) and this one, that seems very austere. And I say it even though I was eager to see a movie by Sciamma in a theater. Now I'm not so sure :T :| . What to do?
Owen
Gold Member

Postby fish » Sun Oct 06, 2019 11:51 pm

Owen wrote:...Now I'm not so sure...

You make some valid points Owen, but I'm willing to trust Sciamma to make a quality film.
And the reviews really are very special. *:)*

I just need to be patient and find a compatible DVD with English sub-titles. 8)
Fish
fish
Crew Member

Postby fish » Sun Mar 01, 2020 12:38 am

Adèle walked out of the Césars awards ceremony yesterday in protest over the awards made to convicted child rapist Roman Polanski.
She was followed by Céline, Noémie and several others, mainly associated with Portrait of a Lady on Fire.

Polanski has never been punished, having fled the USA to avoid it.

Adèle herself was a victim of sexual abuse by French director Christophe Ruggia from the age of 12 to 15 and it's only fairly recently that she has made it publicly known and laid charges.

This article from Awards Watch is worth reading. https://awardswatch.com/what-happened-at-the-cesar-awards-was-a-setup-for-silence/

Also posted on Twitter by Neon.

Bravo Adèle. _O_
Fish
fish
Crew Member

Postby Owen » Tue Mar 03, 2020 3:18 pm

Everything is so political now...

These awards are a self reproducing system: the bigger the platform, the more reach it gets, and therefore it is tempting to award not for the reasons the put forward (i.e. for quality), but for political ones. These awards and the like are then shown as trophies and warrants of a film's quality, which it is not. The most disappointing part is how people are still fooled by it.
Quality of course plays a role, but not the most important one...

Here the political stances will hide the real discussion that should have taken place, that about the absolute quality of the works presented. This is unsurprising however: how many other ceremonies have only shone by the gossip or provocative actions? All in all, the entertainment value supersedes anything else, in my opinion, this is what I understand by reading the article you linked, fish.

And Polanski's case is not a simple moral judgment at all.

EDIT: Yeah, and the article is wrong about some things:
"France seems to be saying that anyone who speaks out about the racism, homophobia, misogyny, and especially the sexual abuse issues that are rampant in their industry should not speak."
Absolutely wrong.
"Out of 1,700 in the room that night, only ten left. Everyone else is complicit in the celebration, most even clapped at the announcement"
Yeah of course, everything is black or white.
"In France, feminist is seen as a dirty word."
Are you kidding me?
"In the end, it is Adèle Haenel and the women of Portrait of a Lady on Fire who won, because their actions have become the voice of the night, even if the film has remained unrecognized."
No, Polanski won.
"By spitting in the face of survivors, all the Césars have accomplished..."
I love the word survivors. Do the victims of abuse, rape and violence usually die? (hint: no, so calling them survivors is pursuing the same sensationalist politics that drive the world now, replacing meaningful debates with battles of egos and loud voices)
Owen
Gold Member

Postby fish » Wed Mar 04, 2020 4:15 am

Owen wrote:Everything is so political now...

I agree that many nominations are political, probably always have been dating back to the first awards, and I'm sure Polanski's nominations fit into that description too.
Should a convicted pedophile be selected in the first place?
Many inside the "me too" movement quite rightly have strong feelings about this.
In what way is it wrong for the victim of another pedophile to voice anger in this situation?

As for being described as a "survivour" of child abuse and/or any other form of sexual abuse, I think that is a fitting noun to use.
There are several high profile murder trials in Aus at the moment dealing with assault victims who did not survive.

Adèle and others in a similar situation deserve all the support they can get.
Pedophiles like Polanski do not. *:|*
Fish
fish
Crew Member

PreviousNext

Return to Entertainment