Last Film You Watched

Moderator: Ian

Re: Last Film You Watched

Postby Ian » Wed Sep 12, 2018 10:28 am

The Meg. An underwater scientific team unearth a whole new world beneath the ocean - and a gigantic, thought-extinct "Megalodon" shark that is very, very unhappy about its feeding ground being disturbed. Jason Statham (whose voice sounds distractingly similar to Stephen Dillane!) stars in this surprisingly fun and entertaining monster movie that I wasn't even going to see but for the fact that I had to use a free ticket on something, but I'm actually glad I did. Likeable characters, a fun premise that's entertainingly executed, I enjoyed this a helluva lot more than The Nun!
Ian
Webmaster

Postby Santi » Fri Sep 14, 2018 5:56 pm

Map to the stars
Santi
Crew Member

Postby Ian » Fri Sep 21, 2018 10:29 am

The Hand. Michael Caine is a comic book creator who loses his hand in a freak car accident. As he struggles to rehabilitate, with his career and marriage collapsing around him, he becomes increasingly convinced that his disembodied hand, which was never found, has somehow gained a rather murderous life of its own... Is a malevolent "hand" really on the loose, or is he just descending into madness? Caine is his usual great self in this early 80s flick (directed, rather strangely, by Oliver "JFK" Stone of all people) that's really more of a psychological thriller than the campy B movie horror the title and premise might make you think. I liked it a lot. :D
Ian
Webmaster

Postby Santi » Sun Sep 23, 2018 2:04 am

Ian wrote:The Meg.....

After the very bad latest movies about sharks it thought that this movie was the same.
But as you have recommended it, I have seen it and it is certainly very good, thanks.
Santi
Crew Member

Postby fish » Sun Sep 23, 2018 2:17 am

Santi wrote:...it is certainly very good, thanks.

You mean Ian got one right? :shock:
After all this time? *:)* :P :lol:
Fish
fish
Crew Member

Postby Ian » Sun Sep 23, 2018 9:50 am

Santi wrote:
Ian wrote:The Meg.....

After the very bad latest movies about sharks it thought that this movie was the same.
But as you have recommended it, I have seen it and it is certainly very good, thanks.

I'm glad you enjoyed it, Santi. *:)* :D

Fishy's just jealous of my exquisite taste. :P
Ian
Webmaster

Postby fish » Mon Sep 24, 2018 3:50 am

Ian wrote:...Fishy's just jealous of my exquisite taste. :P

Sprung. :oops: :P :lol:
Fish
fish
Crew Member

Postby Ian » Mon Oct 01, 2018 10:56 am

Rocky IV. When his friend Appolo Creed (Carl Weathers) is killed in the ring by the vicious Ivan Drago (Dolph Lundgren), Rocky Balboa (Sylvester Stallone) decides to challenge the seemingly unstoppable Russian himself. I don't think I've ever actually seen a Rocky movie before, oddly enough, bu this was on SBS a while back and I taped it as I've always had a vague curiosity about it due to the trailer being on the Gremlins VHS I had as a kid and having watched it loads of times... and I actually really enjoyed it. Great oldschool 80s fun. :D
Ian
Webmaster

Postby Ian » Tue Oct 16, 2018 9:40 am

Salem's Lot. Ben Mears (David Soul) returns to his home town, only to find a notorious local landmark - the "haunted" Marsten House - is now playing home to a very different kind of evil, which soon begins spreading its touch among the townsfolk. This late 70s TV adaptation of Stephen King's classic vampire horror novel isn't perfect, but it's still pretty creepy and effective and enjoyable. No one who watched this as a kid ever slept with their curtains open again. :shock: :lol:
Ian
Webmaster

Postby fish » Wed Oct 17, 2018 4:39 am

Ian wrote:Salem's Lot...

Starring Evil Agnes? :P

By accident on TV I caught "Borg v McEnroe" with Sverrir Gudnason as Björn Borg.
Enjoyed Sverrir with Alexandra Dahlström in "Fröken Sverige" so I thought I'd watch Borg v McEnroe as well.

Enjoyable telling of their life stories up to the 1975 final at Wimbledon.
Showed their difficult lives and emotional baggage very well.
Not too dis-similar but one managed to hide his explosive personality better than the other, at a greater personal cost I think.

Probably don't need to watch it again, but I'd recommend it to anyone interested in the subject.

Fish now goes to search for his DVD of Fröken Sverige so he can watch it again. :D *:)*
Fish
fish
Crew Member

Postby Ian » Tue Oct 23, 2018 10:29 am

Bad Times at the El Royale. A group of strangers gather at a sleazy motel in the middle of a thunderstorm - but none of them are exactly who they seem to be. Jeff Bridges leads the cast in this 60s set ensemble thriller that plays like a classier, less irritating version of The Hateful Eight.
Ian
Webmaster

Postby fish » Wed Oct 24, 2018 5:02 am

Ian wrote:...a sleazy motel in the middle of a thunderstorm...

Why would you want to be anywhere else? *:)* :roll: :lol:
Fish
fish
Crew Member

Postby Ian » Sat Oct 27, 2018 10:20 am

I saw the new Halloween at the cinema the other day. I'm afraid I wasn't impressed. It wasn't terrible, but it was nowhere near as good as the hype, and while it's better than some of the sequels I found it markedly inferior to others (2, 4 and H20), all of which it retcons. The retconning of the Laurie/Michael sibling relationship also strikes me as anal fanboyism rather than particularly necessary and actually rather undermines them as nemeses IMO. I didn't think Curtis was as good in this as she was in H20, which also had a more rather more believable version of Laurie. The last act was also surprisingly weak, with the eventual confrontation between Laurie and Michael nowhere near as epic or satisfying as in H20 IMO. Like Terminator Genisys, this is basically cinematic fan-fiction. Unlike Genisys, I was kind of bummed out by this. :(
Ian
Webmaster

Postby Ian » Sun Nov 11, 2018 9:35 am

Don't Go To Sleep. A young family still grieving the death of their oldest daughter in a car crash moves to a new house, along with an ailing grandma. But hopes of a fresh start go downhill fast when the youngest daughter begins seeing manifestations of her dead sister - and she ain't there to play tag. Dennis Weaver, Ruth Gordon and the young lad who really didn't like clowns in Poltergeist star in this early 80s TV movie chiller that was a lot better than I expected it to be, and got a whole lot darker than I was expecting too. I rather enjoyed this, and the film also does a nice job of never quite defining whether the girl had become psychotically unhinged by the death of her older sister, or if there really was something more unnatural at work. Creepy stuff.
Ian
Webmaster

Postby Ian » Wed Nov 14, 2018 10:20 am

Halloween V: The Revenge of Michael Myers. A year after supposedly being blown to bits down a mineshaft, Michael Myers returns, again targeting his young niece Jamie (Danielle Harris), and again an increasingly frazzled Dr Loomis (Donald Pleasance) is the only one really standing in his way... This 1989 sequel, a direct follow up to the previous year's Halloween 4, often comes in for a lot of stick, and it's certainly flawed - the decision to kill off Rachel (one of the previous film's two female leads) so early is a bummer, the character of Tina is annoying as hell, and the unexplained "Man in Black" subplot (that leads to a cliffhanger ending) is somewhat dubious at best. And yet, for all that, which is why I haven't seen this for so long, I really enjoyed it! Pleasance and Harris are as good as ever, there's some very stylish and atmospheric direction, and the last half hour in particular has some killer scenes (Michael chasing Jamie in the fields in the car, the laundry chute sequence, Loomis going absolutely ape**** on a trapped Michael). I had a better time with this than Halloween 2018! :lol:
Ian
Webmaster

PreviousNext

Return to Entertainment