The book "Lukas Moodysson's Show Me Love"

Discuss Lukas Moodysson's first feature film Fucking Åmål (Show me Love).

Moderator: Ian

The book "Lukas Moodysson's Show Me Love"

Postby ravel » Thu Sep 27, 2018 12:50 pm

Hi all, I searched the forum and couldn't find any discussion about Anna Westerstahl Stenport's book "Lukas Moodysson's Show Me Love". I have this book and it is awesome - it was written by a professor at University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign. I used to be the president for their Scandinavian Club and I may have bumped into her at some point at some university event.

I think reading this book opens another perspective into the film itself so I'd recommend it. There are so many details and themes in the film that most viewers don't notice and they are analyzed in detail with comments from Moodysson, Dahlström and others. My favorite point of discussion is the highway bridge as depicted in the original film poster and how it is used throughout the film, what it symbolizes and so on. *:)*

There is also a review of other Swedish films and how this one relates to Swedish film industry throughout decades. The book has an academic approach but it's accessible to anyone interested in this film.

Here's the blurb at UW website:
https://www.washington.edu/uwpress/sear ... TELUK.html
ravel

Re: The book "Lukas Moodysson's Show Me Love"

Postby Santi » Thu Sep 27, 2018 1:52 pm

Hi Ravel,
I thank you very much for this information.
In this forum we have squeezed the movie and we have seen things that are not noticed. It is incredible, and we know it, that things and more things are appearing, after so many years. *:)*
Santi
Crew Member

Postby Eldsjäl » Thu Sep 27, 2018 3:47 pm

It has been discussed here before, albeit briefly: http://fucking-amal.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=1668#p26649

I've read the book myself. Although the stuff I found to be the most interesting was admittedly the more dry facts about the making of the film as well as the interview with Lukas Moodysson which is scattered throughout.

I used to be the president for their Scandinavian Club and I may have bumped into her at some point at some university event.

Wow!

It's a book about Fucking Åmål, what's not to like about that. :-)
Whatever. We'll go there and burn the house down. Come on. Please...
Eldsjäl
Gold Member

Postby Ian » Fri Sep 28, 2018 10:17 am

I has it too. :D
Ian
Webmaster

Return to Fucking Åmål (Show Me Love)