The Fucking Åmål week in Åmål 23-27 Oct

Discuss Lukas Moodysson's first feature film Fucking Åmål (Show me Love).

Moderator: Ian

Re: The Fucking Åmål week in Åmål 23-27 Oct

Postby Eldsjäl » Fri Oct 26, 2018 10:52 pm

Santi wrote:I think it will be interesting and you will meet someone who knows as much as you do, and then exchange with him some time. *:)*

(Please inscribe him to the forum!). :Y

I would have liked to also know the hidden things that are never said. 8)

Sadly I did not find my soul-mate there. But other than that I won the quiz! :-) Overall the questions were pretty basic (“Which actresses plays Elin and Agnes?”, “How many guldbaggar did the film get?” and so forth) some of the latter were pretty badly formulated and were open for misinterpretation. I think I was the only one-man-team there as well, not to brag or anything. ;-) Didn't actually win any prize or anything though which felt a bit cheap.

Santi wrote:What a good wheather you have had.
I went with rain and everything closed. :cry:

That's too bad, I feel you on that one. I'm actually very grateful for the weather this week. The thing I enjoyed the most, besides the small-talk with Ralph and meeting Ravel, was really just spotting all these places that I believe has some spiritual tie to the film. If it had been raining the entire week then this trip would have ended up being a disaster. There are a couple of more photos from today that I'll share with you soon!

Santi wrote:May be....
There are some buildings in Amal that are the same as those of Elin's home in Trollhattan.

I have furiously been searching around for some look-alike-buildings like that but nothing has been close enough.
Whatever. We'll go there and burn the house down. Come on. Please...
Eldsjäl
Gold Member

Postby fish » Sat Oct 27, 2018 12:18 am

Eldsjäl wrote:...I'm worried that I'll just sit there alone near a bunch of drunk Åmål people and that things will get really awkward.

Hope it was a bit more fun than that. :lol:

It all sounds like a great time.
Experiences, people, memories.
Make the most of it that you can.

Loved the Y/T vids too.
Thanks for posting.
Fish
fish
Crew Member

Postby Santi » Sat Oct 27, 2018 3:53 am

Eldsjäl wrote:, was really just spotting all these places that I believe has some spiritual tie to the film.

Spiritual Åmål only has their name, but these days are the people you found.

Maybe you should go to Trollhättan one morning and feel a fuller link.
(Think that next year the school and the pub of the movie will no longer be there.)
Santi
Crew Member

Postby Eldsjäl » Sat Oct 27, 2018 11:23 am

Alright I'll be packing my stuff and begin my travel home. Won't be able to write anything here until the end of the day.
Eldsjäl
Gold Member

Postby Santi » Sat Oct 27, 2018 1:02 pm

You've done a lot for the little FA community.
Notify us this week that we did not know anything and you make us live every day.

To us and to all the anonymous people from around the world who visit the forum.

Ravel, has come and we met, I with my calendars and Ian and Fish keeping the flame on.
And in the end we made this week bigger and we have internationalized it, which seemed to be only Sweden.

And among all of us, we have done great work.
My mother always tells me that the little things are that are worth more.

You've had the great luck to talk to Ralph and enjoy the atmosphere. You are very happy.

Now, the llittle comunity is more great.

(Is there someone who writes a worse English than me? :r :lol: )
Santi
Crew Member

Postby fish » Sun Oct 28, 2018 12:18 am

Eldsjäl wrote:Alright I'll be packing my stuff and begin my travel home.

Both you and Ravel have done brilliantly, and I hope you both enjoyed it all. *:)* *:)*

Santi wrote:...(Is there someone who writes a worse English than me? :r :lol: )

Thinking, thinking. Image :P :lol:

Santi, you might not be able to see it, but from where you began up till now is remarkable.
I only wish my ability in Swedish, French, and others was as good as yours with English. :oops: *:)*
Fish
fish
Crew Member

Postby Santi » Sun Oct 28, 2018 1:29 am

fish wrote:Santi, you might not be able to see it, but from where you began up till now is remarkable.

Thanks a lot.
Now, the next step is to speak it :lol:
Santi
Crew Member

Postby Santi » Sun Oct 28, 2018 1:37 am

They have deleted the web program within a few hours then finish.

Here you have the program in pdf:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/102sASVlPLS7KU26yczL0QyM2SXo-ZqI4/view?usp=sharing

Santi
Crew Member

Postby Eldsjäl » Sun Oct 28, 2018 11:42 pm

Some more photos of Kungsgatan:

The town's newer church that's still in use:

Some random street photos I took at the district of Ljungsberg in northern Åmål, I've read somewhere that some parts of the film is supposed to take place around there. Not that I've ever seen an official source confirm that in any way, it's not mentioned in the script for example. But you have the ice rink as well as the school Kristinebergsskolan pretty close from this spot so it's not entirely unthinkable.

This is a small kiosk that's standing right at the town centre. As Ravel mentioned to me it's somewhat reminiscent of that building seen in FÅ where all the teens hang out at night. It's known that Lukas consulted a few persons who had lived in Åmål in order to more accurately portray the town in the film – the ice rink scene for example was included partly because someone had told him that the girls in Åmål would go to the town's ice rink and watch the boys play ice hockey. I'm beginning to think that this kiosk scene might be another example of that. There aren't many buildings like this in Åmål and given that there are cars cruising around playing music in the film (something which I've by the way noticed that the people there do at Kungsgatan) it sounds plausible that it would take set pretty near the town centre. So maybe the scene is indeed a reflection of some persons actual experiences from Åmål. But It's hard to tell as this probably is pretty standard stuff for any smaller town, I have similar memories from my home town as well.

Here we have Kristinebergsskolan which Agnes, Jessica, Elin and her friends would've gone to as it's the only school in Åmål with a högstadium (“high-stadium”, seventh to ninth grade). I was pretty cautious walking around there with my big camera as people were walking in and out of that door and I didn't want to give people the wrong idea of what I was doing.

Karlbergsgymnasiet, the only gymnasium (upper secondary school) in Åmål and hence where we would see Markus and Johan:

This is the ice rink mentioned earlier, where that scene shot in Kungälv is supposed to take place:

I believe this is the closest thing to Syltebron that they have in Åmål! It's a very similar kind of footbridge (even though it's slightly shorter and therefore is missing the pillars as well as the lights) and it connects two residential areas from east to west. This bridge also fits with the description given in the FÅ script as it's crossing the road that leads to Säffle, Karlstad and ultimatly Stockholm. It could possibly be what the bridge in the original script was based off! There is only one other footbridge near Åmål that's like this one but that leads straight to the wilderness at the western side.
From the western side:
From the eastern side:
To the north:
To the south:

On the western side there's almost only regular households from what I could see:

And there are many apartment buildings like these on the eastern side. But no building with four floors like the script tells us. Still, these feels somewhat Elin-like:

Walking around that footbridge put me in a very good mood for some reason. And it felt kind of hard leaving the place having walked some distance in order to get there, almost as hard as I imagine it must've been for say emperor Napoleon and la Grande Armée to abandon Moscow. ;-)

I'll post some more stuff as soon as I get the time.
Last edited by Eldsjäl on Mon Oct 29, 2018 11:43 am, edited 7 times in total.
Eldsjäl
Gold Member

Postby Santi » Mon Oct 29, 2018 12:18 am

Lukas should see this. He could have made the film really in Åmål.
And these normal places of Åmål would now be as magical as those in the movie.

Lukas don't want to know this. :N
Santi
Crew Member

Postby fish » Mon Oct 29, 2018 3:04 am

Santi wrote:...Lukas don't want to know this. :N

:lol:

I found myself wondering if you spat at the cars as they passed under the bridge. Just like Elin. *:)* :lol:
Can't think why I would think of that. :? :oops:

Loved the pics and your commentary Eldsjäl. :D
Fish
fish
Crew Member

Postby ravel » Mon Oct 29, 2018 1:50 pm

On my way home the train to Karlstad was replaced with a bus because of some technical problem. The next train to Stockholm hit something (I think they never figured what) and was late for one hour. (Didn't have problems catching my flight at Arlanda though but couldn't go to any museums in Stockholm.)

I had a really nice trip - and it was mostly just as I expected! Meeting Eldsjäl meant there was somebody who really knew the details and could relate to the real Åmål and tell all the funny stories regarding the film. I have noticed I (and we) ended up in the Sveriges Radio P4 Väst segment about the åter-premiär. We had good weather in Åmål and I took some photos especially of the harbour area.

I think it is funny (did I tell this before?) that my taxi driver said that his customers mention the film practically every day. It's a different thing how municipality of Åmål chooses to relate to this, but in Sweden it seems everybody knows the film and it probably, really, brings people to Åmål.

I've read Eldsjäl's messages, it's been really fascinating to read all the analysis and trip reports. Even though the attendance at the åter-premiär wasn't huge, I really liked it there, and the fact they had hot chocolate (O'Boy) there.

I also enjoyed checking out Lyckostigen. In my opinion Agnes could have lived there in real life, the area looks like that. And actually Elin could have lived in the nearby flats (there aren't that many in Åmål...).
ravel

Postby fish » Tue Oct 30, 2018 3:18 am

ravel wrote:...the train to Karlstad was replaced with a bus because of some technical problem...

Sounds like a conspiracy theory to keep you both there.
(I'm big on far fetched conspiracy theories.) 8) :lol:

You both seem to have had an amazing time.
I would have loved to have been there but if they were surprised that you came all the way from Finland I don't know how they would have reacted to someone from Australia. :T :lol:

Please keep spreading the stories of your adventures in Åmål.
I love hearing them. *:)*
Fish
fish
Crew Member

Postby Ian » Tue Oct 30, 2018 10:15 am

They would probably have thought we were nuts. :P
Ian
Webmaster

Postby Eldsjäl » Tue Oct 30, 2018 3:31 pm

Santi wrote:Maybe you should go to Trollhättan one morning and feel a fuller link.
(Think that next year the school and the pub of the movie will no longer be there.)

While I could've stopped by Trollhättan on my way home or something I still want to save that for a separate trip entirely that I can plan properly. I'm looking forward to that day!

Santi wrote:They have deleted the web program within a few hours then finish.

Good call! I've saved the pdf myself.

Santi wrote:Lukas should see this. He could have made the film really in Åmål.
And these normal places of Åmål would now be as magical as those in the movie.

I don't believe that's the reason as to why the film wasn't shot in Åmål. All things considered Lukas seems to have been pretty aware of what there was to see in Åmål. You have to keep in mind that the film had a small budget of roughly 9,400,000 SEK and the studio Film i Väst is seated in Trollhättan. Most the actors would be cast locally so it was probably in many ways quicker and cheaper to keep things there as much as possible.

fish wrote:I found myself wondering if you spat at the cars as they passed under the bridge. Just like Elin. *:)* :lol:
Can't think why I would think of that. :? :oops:

I thought about it. :-) But I probably looked suspicious enough regardless. I held on to the railing for a little while to get a feel of how cold it must've been for Bex and Lex to hang onto Syltebron's railing in the film. It was very cold and to think they did that in the middle of the night!

ravel wrote:On my way home the train to Karlstad was replaced with a bus because of some technical problem. The next train to Stockholm hit something (I think they never figured what) and was late for one hour. (Didn't have problems catching my flight at Arlanda though but couldn't go to any museums in Stockholm.)

Great to hear that you at least made it to your flight!

ravel wrote:I think it is funny (did I tell this before?) that my taxi driver said that his customers mention the film practically every day. It's a different thing how municipality of Åmål chooses to relate to this, but in Sweden it seems everybody knows the film and it probably, really, brings people to Åmål.

I don't think you told me about this – that's funny!

fish wrote:I would have loved to have been there but if they were surprised that you came all the way from Finland I don't know how they would have reacted to someone from Australia. :T :lol:

That would've been a really fun experience though. Imagine if we all had stuck around together there, then we really would've stood out as quite the odd gang in the eye's of the locals! :-)
Eldsjäl
Gold Member

PreviousNext

Return to Fucking Åmål (Show Me Love)