Ralph Carlsson at the anniversary event (and related stuff)

Discuss Lukas Moodysson's first feature film Fucking Åmål (Show me Love).

Moderator: Ian

Re: Ralph Carlsson at the anniversary event (and related stu

Postby M83 » Thu Nov 22, 2018 4:46 am

fish wrote:
M83 wrote:...he leaves his mark on the film that's for sure...

I think all of the actors, kids, adults, amateurs, professionals, did such a great job.
A tribute to Lukas and his entire crew that they were able to get such good performances from everyone.

Definitely a tribute for Lukas, as the director he has to draw out those performances. I think even in his less successful films you can't ever knock the films acting. I think the performances from FA all stand up, leave the leads out (as we know they are awesome), I think Erica Carlson as Jessica and Mathias Rust as Johan are every bit as brilliant as Rebecka and Alexandra.Even during this Forum's peak, they never got enough love they deserved from the fanbase. I think Josefine Nyberg as Viktoria, her short performance is fantastic as well. Even the lad's sitting on the lockers during scene when they stick a poster of a naked woman on Agnes locker are great, it just feels so natural.
M83
Gold Member

Postby ravel » Thu Nov 22, 2018 8:39 am

I think here we have very good points about Olof the character and Ralph the actor. It's great that Lukas was able to get such a great ensemble of experienced and amateur actors for his first film and convince them that he could pull it off. Ralph said he was able to see that this is going to be a good film.

Olof's character is very important in the film - he is genuinely concerned about his daughter but also unable to help her, even though he seems to have a connection that Agnes' mom lacks. I think they together made a very believable family, and Oskar's small role was also very important - he has some of the most important lines in the whole film (in my opinion).

That is a characteristic of great film-makers: they find the best people in the roles, even small ones. They know when they need a character actor, they know how far they can go with amateurs.
ravel

Postby M83 » Fri Nov 23, 2018 12:21 am

ravel wrote:I think here we have very good points about Olof the character and Ralph the actor. It's great that Lukas was able to get such a great ensemble of experienced and amateur actors for his first film and convince them that he could pull it off. Ralph said he was able to see that this is going to be a good film.

Olof's character is very important in the film - he is genuinely concerned about his daughter but also unable to help her, even though he seems to have a connection that Agnes' mom lacks. I think they together made a very believable family, and Oskar's small role was also very important - he has some of the most important lines in the whole film (in my opinion).

That is a characteristic of great film-makers: they find the best people in the roles, even small ones. They know when they need a character actor, they know how far they can go with amateurs.

I think Lukas is a great director's actor, when you see how he gets performances from his kid's actors that isn't easy. Even Moodysson's weakest film's you can't ever complain about the acting in them.

Agnes Father is massively important to the film, he's the only parent that see's his child in pain and acts on it. He at least tries to help her but this is something only Agnes can get over, sometimes no matter how great a parent you are you can't always help. Agnes mother only really bother's when her little son mentions that rumors of Agnes might like girls. Even then she still manages to upset her daughter. She's not a bad parent, but someone who probably hasn't really got to know her daughter, look at the birthday party scene and how she's puts meat out on the table not even knowing her daughter's is Vegan.

Fantastic performances all round from that cast,
M83
Gold Member

Postby fish » Fri Nov 23, 2018 2:12 am

ravel wrote:...and Oskar's small role was also very important...

True.
There don't seem to be any wasted roles.
Even though some parts are small, they are significant in advancing the story-line.

Well done to Lukas, I say. *:)*
Fish
fish
Crew Member

Postby M83 » Sat Dec 08, 2018 4:34 am

fish wrote:
ravel wrote:...and Oskar's small role was also very important...

True.
There don't seem to be any wasted roles.
Even though some parts are small, they are significant in advancing the story-line.

Well done to Lukas, I say. *:)*

Go watch Together and We are The Best, you can see how well Moodysson writes for even the smaller characters in his film. Every role in FA is great, to the guys on the locker who are slagging of Agnes, to Elin and Jessica's friends, to Agnes little brother. They leave their impression.
M83
Gold Member

Postby fish » Sun Dec 09, 2018 11:11 pm

M83 wrote:...Go watch Together and We are The Best...

Yes. I have the DVD's of these and pretty much everything else Lukas has made.
Some of the films are not favourites, mainly because of the subject matter, but I agree with what you're saying.
Even one as obscure as Container has well written character parts.
I may not have liked that character but that's not because of any deficiency in Lukas' writing.
Fish
fish
Crew Member

Postby M83 » Thu Dec 13, 2018 1:29 pm

fish wrote:
M83 wrote:...Go watch Together and We are The Best...

Yes. I have the DVD's of these and pretty much everything else Lukas has made.
Some of the films are not favourites, mainly because of the subject matter, but I agree with what you're saying.
Even one as obscure as Container has well written character parts.
I may not have liked that character but that's not because of any deficiency in Lukas' writing.

A film like A Hole In My Heart, the film isn't great but the strongest moments are the characters and not when he's out to shock and annoy the viewer, the film has a heart to it. When Moodysson isn't preachy or trying to give the middle finger to his audience he's one of the best writer/directors around. That's why FA, Together and We Are The Best are his best for me. Lilya 4 ever is a tough watch and a important subject matter but I prefer him when his film's are bittersweet.
M83
Gold Member

Postby Santi » Thu Dec 13, 2018 3:04 pm

I have always believed that anything that happens special is not for a single reason. It is by the sum of many things.
This film has the director, the actresses, the script, the script changes of Alex, the years it was made, the name of the town, etc.

(Others movies of Lukas aren't especials. Have less things.)
Santi
Crew Member

Postby fish » Thu Dec 13, 2018 10:56 pm

M83 wrote:...Lilya 4 ever is a tough watch and a important subject matter...

I agree.
I've watched Lilya several times.
I feel the same about Mammut (Mammoth) too with the opulence of the West contrasted with Third World Poverty.
I mean, a mammoth ivory fountain pen FFS. :roll:

Santi wrote:...This film has the director, the actresses, the script, the script changes of Alex, the years it was made, the name of the town, etc...

Will always be his best I suspect. *:)* *:)*
But all his films have merit to varying degrees.
Fish
fish
Crew Member

Postby M83 » Fri Dec 14, 2018 3:25 am

fish wrote:
M83 wrote:...Lilya 4 ever is a tough watch and a important subject matter...

I agree.
I've watched Lilya several times.
I feel the same about Mammut (Mammoth) too with the opulence of the West contrasted with Third World Poverty.
I mean, a mammoth ivory fountain pen FFS. :roll:

You watched it several times, I just watched it twice as it's just harrowing and downbeat. Although i think Oksana Akinshina probably delivers the best performance in a Moodysson film. I think I actually watch A Hole In my heart and Container more times.
Oh Mammoth is definitely his most preachy film and probably his least favorite of mine. Considering he got Michelle Williams and Gael Garcia Bernal to star in it, and I wouldn't even put it in any of their top 10 performances. It's sort of a forgotten film in his C.V that's strange considering he was doing a big budget film with a big name cast.

For me Moodysson ranking
1= Fucking Amal
1= Together
2. We Are The Best
3. Lilya 4 Ever
4. A Hole In My Heart
5. Mammoth
6. Container
M83
Gold Member

Postby fish » Fri Dec 14, 2018 10:35 pm

Personal taste is a strange thing, isn't it. :T
I never warmed to Together for some reason, even though most reviews raved about it, and yet Lilya left me in tears every time.
Fish
fish
Crew Member

Postby Santi » Sat Dec 15, 2018 3:38 pm

Lilya is not a movie is a documentary.
Luka's movies don't like me. Don't understand them.
Santi
Crew Member

Postby fish » Sat Dec 15, 2018 10:15 pm

Santi wrote:Lilya is not a movie is a documentary...

Well, it is a work of fiction so I guess that makes it a movie rather than a documentary.

Lukas' films can be polarising in that you either love them or hate them according to your personal taste.
Fish
fish
Crew Member

Postby M83 » Sun Dec 16, 2018 3:30 am

fish wrote:Personal taste is a strange thing, isn't it. :T
I never warmed to Together for some reason, even though most reviews raved about it, and yet Lilya left me in tears every time.

Really, I didn't quite get Together when I first saw it but when I got the Moodysson Box set back in the late 00's. I warmed to it to a point it was giving FA a run for my favorite Moodysson film. I just love the film, the characters, a bit like Elin and Agnes, aren't always likeable but you do like them. It also has the same feel as FA for me, it's got that bittersweet feel. Also the kid performances are excellent, and ending is up there with FA's ending just joyous plus you get Abba's SOS blasting, so you can't beat that. The weird thing is Together was the film that won Moodysson over to the film world, FA got a lot of love but Together started winning him awards in festivals and getting top 10 places in the end of year polls.

Lilya definitely does emotionally exhaust you, it's just so bleak once her mother leaves her. Even FA and Together have some tough moments but their is alway's light at the end of the tunnel. Not in Lilya. The film is just to tough to watch. I can see why some say it's Moodysson best film, not my view as I think his first two films are his best work.
M83
Gold Member

Postby Santi » Sun Dec 16, 2018 2:45 pm

fish wrote:....it is a work of fiction....

Fiction???

That same thing has happened to thousands of girls.
Santi
Crew Member

PreviousNext

Return to Fucking Åmål (Show Me Love)